• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

B5 Rangers T-Shirt Campaign

I used to be a contributor on one of the Star Trek newsgroups, and have been lurking on the B5 ones (mostly moderated) for quite some time because I simply can't get anything posted there (I send, and it never appears).

I remember a poster named Podkayne, though...

------------------
The writer's life is not meant to be a happy one. We all accept that going in. -JMS

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by channe:
have been lurking on the B5 ones (mostly moderated) for quite some time because I simply can't get anything posted there (I send, and it never appears).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Which probably means you're using an invalid email adress, right?

You need to have a functioning email adress in the "From:" field for the moderation software to send you the registraition form. Else all your posts will end up in the trash.

------------------
"When I want your opinion I'll beat it out of you, ok?"
-- Ranma-chan, A Leotard is a Girl's Burden, Ranma 1/2

drakh@spamcop.net

Is this offer available in Canada? Doesn't really matter to me, I can't see LOTR opening night, I have an exam the morning after. Curses!
mad.gif

Admiral Dave

------------------

I think I'd better warn people, especially newbies, about Podkayne & the others. Podkayne thinks of B5 fans as her entertainment. She loves to laugh at us. I sent her an e-mail asking her why she does this, & she told me to stop whining, or she'd taunt me again! So if you come across Podkayne, or Odeus, or Ford, don't respond to their insults in the newsgroups. It does no good, since these are pathetic individuals who obviously hate everyone. You can't win an argument with them at all.

Tammy

------------------

"We're in here! Can anyone hear us?"
"I hear you." [giggle, laugh]
"In here!"
"We are here." [giggle, laugh]
-- Londo and G'Kar in Babylon 5:"Convictions"

Tammy's Station
http://community.webtv.net/gkarfan/TammysStation

Thanks, Tammy. I had heard much the same about Podkayne and Ford in another forum.

Well, I don't doubt that people get their jollies laughing at B5 fans. We're entertaining.

I mean, who else would wear potentially embarrassing T-shirts advertising a *television movie* in public, and like it?

I'm just going to answer, "Hey, it's a cool show. It has great writing, a knockout storyline - could you really ask for more in today's dreck-filled television culture?"

------------------
The writer's life is not meant to be a happy one. We all accept that going in. -JMS

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gkarfan:
I think I'd better warn people, especially newbies, about Podkayne & the others. Podkayne thinks of B5 fans as her entertainment. She loves to laugh at us. I sent her an e-mail asking her why she does this, & she told me to stop whining, or she'd taunt me again! So if you come across Podkayne,
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gkarfan:
or Odeus
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

in any of the MANY combinations of those letters:

0deus (note the leading Zero)
O. Deus
odeus
O Deus

, or Ford, don't respond to their insults in the newsgroups. It does no good, since these are pathetic individuals who obviously hate everyone. You can't win an argument with them at all.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Quite correct, since logic and facts are useless. Might as well argue with an inmate of a nuthouse.
crazy.gif
What's the point?

I just block/ignore all of 'em, because they're not worth my time (If I was immortal, independently wealthy, and my time was FREE, it wouldn't be worth my time.). It's a no-win situation. If you lose the argument (likely since there are no rules, and it's mainly an insult war), you'll be pissed-off. If you win the argument, you'll feel dirty afterwards.

I'm reminded of somebody else's sig.:

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."

However, in this case, I'd modify it as follows:

"Never argue with an master of profanity/insults. They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."

Don't feed the trolls.
laugh.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 19, 2002 at 9PM on The Sci-Fi Channel. http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

[This message has been edited by KoshN (edited November 22, 2001).]

I just thought I should warn the newer fans about Podkayne & the others because I knew nothing about them when I first went online in '98, & it was an unpleasant surprise. I have a feeling that they will be causing all sorts of trouble when Rangers airs, since they can't seem to give up their old habits. They must be very unhappy people who like to taunt others so they can feel better about themselves. It's all a game to them.

Tammy

------------------

"In here!"

Tammy's Station

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bakana:
Just take note that one of the SciFi channel's advertisers is IBM.

They wouldn't be advertising on the channel unless they thought somone with Decision Making power was watching.

If you saw their commercial (IBM running Linux) the computer they were advertising costs BIG Bucks.
It's an OS/390 style machine capable of replacing up to 500 Sun Unix servers with a single box.
No one advertises unless they expect some segment of the people watching the commercial to spend More money than the commercial cost.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is that the commercial where a boss-looking guy is running up a hallway saying "they've stolen our servers"? Yea, that's not something that a college kid cold afford!

Unless he's part of the Bush family, or something!
wink.gif

------------------
"I do not believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense,
reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."-- Galileo

"I think I speak for Mr. Bloom and myself when I say: you are the only director in the World who can do justice to 'Springtime For Hitler' " - Zero Mostel, The Producers

No luck getting scifi channel to respond to me, so I guess I don't get a shirt, boohoo. OH well, I'll be so busy actually hosting a Lord of the Rings party that aside from wearing the shirt, I probably wouldn't be able to do much else.

Peace, Love and Rock & Roll

Kailin

------------------
Peace, Love and Rock & Roll,

Kailin

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kailin:
No luck getting scifi channel to respond to me, so I guess I don't get a shirt, boohoo.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Kailin, I am in the same boat as you. No response either.
frown.gif

------------------
Monica Hübinette | Seattle, WA | Send a Warm Fuzzy!
They knocked down two tall towers. Graft now their echo onto your spine. Become girders and glass, stone and steel, so that when the world sees you, it sees them. And stand tall. Stand tall. --JMS (Amazing Spider-Man #36)

To Kailin and Lyta:

No response to what? The original "ideas" email, OR the "t-shirt email" that requested you send them your mailing address?

I replied to the t-shirt email they sent me, and as yet, I've gotten no reply to that email. They'll probably just send the shirt.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

January 19, 2002 at 9PM on The Sci-Fi Channel.
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Just take note that one of the SciFi channel's advertisers is IBM.
They wouldn't be advertising on the channel unless they thought somone with Decision Making power was watching.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

IBM's logic is easy to understand. Most Computer Managers are promoted computer programmers. Also, most computer programmers are science fiction fans. This gives a high probability that Computer (IT) Managers watch science fiction. Even if he does not, his technical advisers will.

IBM may even have performed a survey of the life styles of its buyers.

------------------
Andrew Swallow

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>
Tammy wrote

I happened to go to rec.arts.sf.tv & noticed that they were laughing a how stupid they thought SFC's t-shirt campaign was.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If SFC's T-shirt campaign works I am sure that the old rule will apply. When Babylon 5 boldly goes where no man has gone before Star Trek follows.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> I don't care if those morons laugh--I'm going to wear my shirt with pride!

Tammy

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They are just jealous. They will soon be wearing Dr Who / Star Trek / etc. T-shirts.

The difference being that you have a first edition.

------------------
Andrew Swallow

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> note any of the MANY combinations of those letters:

0deus (note the leading Zero)
O. Deus
odeus
O Deus <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You missed the most obvious:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> odi·ous
Pronunciation: 'O-dE-&s
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French odieus, from Latin odiosus, from odium
Date: 14th century
: exciting or deserving hatred or repugnance
: Of such a character as to be hated or greatly disliked,
<odious associates> <an odious business>
odi·ous·ly adverb
odi·ous·ness noun

Synonyms: HATEFUL, abhorrent, abominable, detestable, hateable, horrid
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
The 3 most common elements in the Universe:
Hydrogen, Greed, Stupidity!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KoshN:
To Kailin and Lyta:

No response to what? The original "ideas" email, OR the "t-shirt email" that requested you send them your mailing address?

I replied to the t-shirt email they sent me, and as yet, I've gotten no reply to that email. They'll probably just send the shirt.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, considering that I never sent them an "idea" in response to that email, I don't expect a reply.
wink.gif
As for the "t-shirt" email, I never received it as I only got notice of it through this posting. Also, it seemed that a few people had gotten a reply from that email (B5_Obsessed and gkarfan are the ones I had in mind). However, it could have been only because they did not supply a mailing address to begin with.

I just hope to see something in the mail soon but it would have been nice to get a short reply that they received my email. It especially worries me since the first email that was posted bounced for me.

*crossing her fingers*

------------------
Monica Hübinette | Seattle, WA | Send a Warm Fuzzy!
They knocked down two tall towers. Graft now their echo onto your spine. Become girders and glass, stone and steel, so that when the world sees you, it sees them. And stand tall. Stand tall. --JMS (Amazing Spider-Man #36)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lyta:
Also, it seemed that a few people had gotten a reply from that email (B5_Obsessed and gkarfan are the ones I had in mind). However, it could have been only because they did not supply a mailing address to begin with.

I just hope to see something in the mail soon but it would have been nice to get a short reply that they received my email. It especially worries me since the first email that was posted bounced for me.

*crossing her fingers*

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I forwarded another copy of my message to them, this time with a Receipt Request. We'll see what happens.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

I happened to go to rec.arts.sf.tv & noticed that they were laughing a how stupid they thought SFC's t-shirt campaign was. I posted in the thread, & who should come out of his hole but JMS' old enemy, Ford Thaxton the Mega-troll! Ford's still on his old kick, predicting the end of the B5 universe. With how well B5 has been doing for SFC, I think Ford's act is getting pretty tired.

I don't care if those morons laugh--I'm going to wear my shirt with pride!
smile.gif

Tammy

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was just doing a little cleanup, deleting messages, compacting folders, deciding what usenet groups to drop and which to keep, etc.

So, I stopped by rastb5 (the unmod group), and some joker called "Captain Infinity" was quoting something I wrote almost seven months ago!
crazy.gif
I don't know what the hell he was getting at, but it was probably derogatory.

It was in the "Kill Crusade Before Someone Resurrects It" thread. What are the odds that that would be the first thread I looked at? So, I unsubscribed from the group. Screw 'em.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

No one seems to go to the unmoderated newsgroup these days, anyway. The old gang of trolls are at rec.arts.sf.tv, as I (unfortunately) found out.

Tammy

------------------

"In here!"

Tammy's Station

There is nothing there for anyone but trolls. No JMS, no unencumbered conversation about the show, why would anyone go there except trolls.

------------------
"Crying isn't gonna get your dog back. Unless your tears smell like dog food. So you can sit here eating can after can of dog food until your tears smell like dog food or you can go out there and find your dog."-Homer in The Canine Mutiny

I get enough unencumbered conversation about the show here.
smile.gif

------------------

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back