• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Babylon 5 and pop culture.

(Yes I know I'm replying to myself - I just hit the last person on the thread to reply to /ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif) Heh

Tonight on "Buffy" was another reference of B5.

"He's giving me the same look he did when I highlighted parts of his Babylon 5 novels!"

That bastard!!!!

/ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

Odd, I didn't notice that. Was it from the new one or the fx repeats? Good thing I caught the new one since I thought it would be a repeat.

It was the new Buffy. When Johnathan was trying to work the spell on the disc and shoed Warren away. The ... um ... other one, the blonde one no one remembers from high school (though his brother tried to release the hell-hounds on the Prom) ... he said that line about the way Johnathan was looking.

Personally, I don't think Babylon 5 will now or ever effect pop culture much. Very few scifi shows have yet, and I don't want scifi to have popularity, I want scifi to have quality.

One thing B5 will change is the future of scifi. Like Rod Serling influenced JMS, JMS will influence Channe and hundreds of other writers to write good, well-thought, continuity Scifi. We can only hope something good comes from that influence.

Would we really want B5 to become a pop culture icon? Yes it would help get new series out but it may also guarantee that material keeps coming out long after there is anything left to say. I wouldn't want to see a B5 series out ten years after JMS has died, especially considering how much the show relied upon his vision.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back