• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Good news about "B5" books

Re: Good news about \"B5\" books

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kribu:
But it's possible to understand and enjoy the Technomage books even without reading The Shadow Within first?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes. However, you won't understand Anna Sheridan as well. Plus, you won't get the scoop on what was happening immediately prior to The Gathering (e.g. where Kosh was before he arrived at B5), if you don't read The Shadow Within first. You could probably find The Shadow Within on the used market.

I just did a search and turned up the following results:
http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?st=sl&ac=sl&qi=H6s9zZ37ipRNmxXf7QrVDZ5H6sYDHkrV:0:0

whiich led to
http://www.half.com/cat/buy/prod.cgi?domain_id=1856&cpid=1578304&ad=1781

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kribu:
I agree with Lyta in that The Shadow Within seems to be about the characters I really didn't care about (well, I suppose I have to admit the Sheridans were somewhat important to the B5 storyline...
wink.gif
) so I just haven't felt like reading more about them in a book.

I'll wait. I'm stubborn, you know.
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then, you're a true Narn.
laugh.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 19, 2002 at 9PM on The Sci-Fi Channel.
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

I want to read this book but I am a bit wary of it. Why, because it's only about seventy percent canon which means I might be a bit distracted trying to sort out what is and is not true. Also some people have said some of the characterization is a bit off which would be quite distracting.

I'll probably read it anyway and ask what parts are sketchy when the book comes back out.

------------------
"I used to be known as Eric, the waiter with hands for hands." The waiter with stubs for hands in The Kids in the Hall

ANGEL SUMMERS!!!!

I have the Blood Oath (I'm pretty sure), I'd be pleased to lend you my copy if I could borrow your Shadow Within, I can't find a copy anywhere here in NZ. The postage shouldn't be too terrible, and I've been hanging out to read it.

Blood Oath is reasonably enjoyable and although it might not be as good as some of the others I still liked it. It was better than that Touch of Your Shadow etc one BLECH.

I also thought Clark's Law was fairly readable.

I haven't managed to get my hands on any trilogy books yet, don't have the moolah and have only seen isolated copies about, but one day....

Anyhow, drop me a line at scully@ihug.co.nz if you are interested in a temporary swap
smile.gif

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KoshN:
The thing is that The Shadow Within leads directly into Casting Shadows, so it's a natural to read before the Technomage trilogy.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, yes. I am not arguing that point at all. I just never -possessed- the book before I read the mages trilogy. My point was that just because you don't have "Shadow Within", don't beat yourself up trying to find it. If the characters and storyline interest you, then by all means get it and read it -before- the mages trilogy.
smile.gif
Even if you read it after, it still -compliments- the events in B5 and in particular the mages trilogy. You just make it seem like it should be a requirement to read "SW" before the mages books when that is not exactly true.
tongue.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>For me, a lot of To Dream in the City of Sorrows (especially the beginning) was a dry read, and in that way similar to the first part of Dark Genesis.

The Shadow Within was a page turner, and in that way, a lot like Casting Shadows and Summoning Light.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

See, this is the wonderful part of us all being individuals ... we all have different things that interest us.
smile.gif
I thought the exact opposite way that you do about those two books. The characters and story in "SW" didn't capture my interest as much as "TDitCoS" did. After reading the mages books and then reading "SW", it is apparent (to me at least) that it was Cavelos' first stab at the B5 universe and I thought her style and writting improved greatly in the mages books.

Of course, this has all been the ramblings of one little ol' telepath whose opinions should be taken with a grain of salt.
laugh.gif

------------------
Monica Hübinette | Seattle, WA | Send a Warm Fuzzy!
They knocked down two tall towers. Graft now their echo onto your spine. Become girders and glass, stone and steel, so that when the world sees you, it sees them. And stand tall. Stand tall. --JMS (Amazing Spider-Man #36)

I have found Amazon.uk a good site to get some of the out of print books. I got 'City of Sorrows' from there brand new a few weeks ago.
www.amazon.co.uk

------------------
'I don't believe in the no-win scenario' - JTK

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>KoshN posted:

whiich led to http://www.half.com/cat/buy/prod.cgi?domain_id=1856&cpid=1578304&ad=1781
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And Half.com says:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>To be a member of Half.com, you must be 18 years old or older, a United States citizen or permanent alien.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is the main reason why I don't even bother to check Half.com. (The latter part of this, i.e., not the age issue.
blush.gif
) And with eBay, there is this slight problem known as PayPal, the preferred method of payment... so, as I said, it is too much hassle.

I'm still stubborn.
laugh.gif

------------------
"Narns, Humans, Centauri... we all do what we do for the same reason: because it seems like a good idea at the time." - G'Kar, Mind War
Kribu's Lounge

As for the plot of The Shadow Within... well, as I said, I have really not been that interested in it. Mildly curious, sure, but not enough to go out of my way to find the book.
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't feel too bad about not wanting to read "The Shadow Within" because I went out of my way to aquire it and did not think it was all -that- great. Yeah, the Morden story was interesting and so was the Anna story line as well. Heck, we even get to see Sheridan's first assignment aboard the Aggie. Still, I probably could have lived without knowing that stuff too. I am glad I read it but if it does not interest to you, then don't sweat it. Wait for the reprint if necessary.
wink.gif

Maybe I was not thrilled with this book was because I read it after the mages books and it just didn't live up to the expectations? Maybe because it was about the three characters I was least interested in? Maybe because it didn't go into enough detail/background of these characters? Maybe it was the wrongness I felt witnessing Anna and Morden's relationship? Maybe it was all of the above.
wink.gif

------------------
Monica Hübinette | Seattle, WA | Send a Warm Fuzzy!
They knocked down two tall towers. Graft now their echo onto your spine. Become girders and glass, stone and steel, so that when the world sees you, it sees them. And stand tall. Stand tall. --JMS (Amazing Spider-Man #36)

The thing is that The Shadow Within leads directly into Casting Shadows, so it's a natural to read before the Technomage trilogy.

I might have liked The Shadow Within as much as I did, because I read it after that abomination that was The Touch of Your Shadow, The Whisper of Your Name ( blech. ptui!
tongue.gif
)

For me, a lot of To Dream in the City of Sorrows (especially the beginning) was a dry read, and in that way similar to the first part of Dark Genesis.

The Shadow Within was a page turner, and in that way, a lot like Casting Shadows and Summoning Light.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

January 19, 2002 at 9PM on The Sci-Fi Channel. http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

[This message has been edited by KoshN (edited November 19, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lyta:
Yes, yes. I am not arguing that point at all. I just never -possessed- the book before I read the mages trilogy. My point was that just because you don't have "Shadow Within", don't beat yourself up trying to find it. If the characters and storyline interest you, then by all means get it and read it -before- the mages trilogy. Even if you read it after, it still -compliments- the events in B5 and in particular the mages trilogy. You just make it seem like it should be a requirement to read "SW" before the mages books when that is not exactly true.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, it's not a "requirement" to read The Shadow Within before the Technomage trilogy. It's just "better" that way.

Hell, I read the Centauri Prime Trilogy before the Technomage trilogy and that's chronologically way out of order.
smile.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

January 19, 2002 at 9PM on The Sci-Fi Channel.
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back