• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

JMS's reaction to criticism

Re: JMS\'s reaction to criticism

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>True, but I'd hope that JMS would be above the "everyody else blows up too" explanation.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Holding others to higher standards... now what is the word for that... hmm.
tongue.gif
JMS never claimed to be perfect. Have you taken the preconception that somewhere down the line he believed himself perfect for some reason?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Who said he was? I pretty much think all of the guys who behave in that way are jerks ... why should JMS be given special treatment?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lol, then you must think everyones a jerk, because everyone overreacts at times, which you have not proven that he has done. Spider-man example is a non-issue since he was addressing people who couldn't give a shit about the death of thousands and the tribute to them, because they were too busy whining about Doom getting teary eyed. Well boo-hoo, I am sure the families of those who died appreciate the criticism. The generalization made is over-shadowed by the lack of humanity shown IMNSHO.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Depends on which athletes and at which times. I'd put Michael Jordan up against JMS any day in that competition.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you know Jordan? Are you privy to his private life? Most celebrities who are smart don't play into the hands of the mass-media by acting badly publicly. They wait until their fame has expired, then they do whatever the hell they feel like doing. Some people can get away without the media jumping on their back. IF Jordan tomorrow, beats up a fan, it'd be all over the front pages, if JMS (just an example) also did so... it MIGHT be somewhere in the backpages. Jorden has more on the line than JMS, and has more attention paid to him by the public. JMS went the other way, and overexposed himself of sorts to the public, making sure everyone knew his wrap. That way it becomes common knowledge, and no-one gives a damn. Remember Londo hiding by not hiding in S5? It's kinda like that.

------------------
Marc Cosgrove

"From chaos, order came. As was inevitable." -Summoning light

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> JMS never claimed to be perfect. Have you taken the preconception that somewhere down the line he believed himself perfect for some reason?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, not at all. Is it too much to expect that we can be civil to one another?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Lol, then you must think everyones a jerk, because everyone overreacts at times, which you have not proven that he has done. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've read responses from JMS that went beyond mere overreactions. And if you think I'm bias, then re-read what the President wrote in this thread earlier -- I'm certainly not the only one who thinks that he "goes off" on people every so often. Frankly, I don't know if he blows his top once a month, once a week, or once a year -- i do know that I've yet to see an apology from him yet.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Do you know Jordan? Are you privy to his private life? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Funny you should ask that, because I do indeed know Jordan. But I don't think I need to be privy to his private life to see that he doesn't blow up at his fans like JMS does his.

------------------
"Dawn's in trouble? Must be Tuesday." -- Buffy Summers, "Once More With Feeling."

[This message has been edited by PsionTen (edited January 28, 2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PsionTen:
No, not at all. Is it too much to expect that we can be civil to one another?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Erm, he is civil, and when he isn't, he generally isn't for a REASON like most people. But the majority of his behaviour IS indeed civil, unless you have proof to the contrary. I'm betting you find a handful out of 16,000 replies.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>I've read responses from JMS that went beyond mere overreactions. And if you think I'm bias, then re-read what the President wrote in this thread earlier -- I'm certainly not the only one who thinks that he "goes off" on people every so often. Frankly, I don't know if he blows his top once a month, once a week, or once a year -- i do know that I've yet to see an apology from him yet.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Vague much? Provide a quote of this happening, and how many can you find of him doing such things out of thousands of replies? Notice how the 'president' provides no proof, or no comparison to the polite replies of which there are thousands. And the 'president' didn't exactly state anything substantial, most is subjective. I could interprete it to mean JMS fights fire with fire. But lets cast aside the red herring with an appeal to authority rolled in one. You still didn't provide proof. I am more than willing to listen, I do not pretend to know everything about JMS. But still... when someone makes a claim, the rule of thumb is to back that claim up. I am not bothered if you're the only one in the world or if you have 99% of the population behind you, I still want something substantial to take your points seriosuly.

He states he is sorry and that he apologises for MANY things. For a delayed comic, for a re-schelduled broadcast, for not being able to keep a plan, for doing horrible work etc. Just goto jmsnews.com and type in things like 'sorry', 'apologies', 'regret' etc. and you'll get a rather big list of messages.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Funny you should ask that, because I do indeed know Jordan. But I don't think I need to be privy to his private life to see that he doesn't blow up at his fans like JMS does his.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So you know him but aren't privy to his private life? So this is obviously a 'know him' in a 'I shook his hand a couple times'? Because if you don't know him behind closed doors then you don't know him at all. For all you know he has a punchbag with faces of people he hates and imagines crushing their heads.

Still empty accusations, please bring something specific to the table for me to work with other than vague generalizations.

------------------
Marc Cosgrove

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Still empty accusations, please bring something specific to the table for me to work with other than vague generalizations.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What is it do you think that I'm accusing him of? I said that the guy goes off on fans, so did some other people ... I might be wrong, but I don't think you disagree with that. How is that vague?

------------------
"Dawn's in trouble? Must be Tuesday." -- Buffy Summers, "Once More With Feeling."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PsionTen:
What is it do you think that I'm accusing him of? I said that the guy goes off on fans, so did some other people ... I might be wrong, but I don't think you disagree with that. How is that vague?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You answered your own question.
wink.gif
I'm asking for examples, just saying he goes off on fans is highly suspect. You leave out vital details, thus it is vague. How so? Well what if a B5 fan was stealing his car, so JMS gives him a smack... I would call that well deserved. But me just saying he goes off on fans, leaving out that detail would give people different impressions.

I gave you a source for just about every public messages he has made (jmsnews.com) and I still don't see any examples. Even if said examples are given. they leave out vital details still. The guy he is responding to may be a troll who has harassed members of b5 fandom and is now targeting JMS. This HAS happened.

------------------
Marc Cosgrove

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back