• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

My recent entertainment purchases

Well I ordered LOTR Special Edition and B5 S1 from Amazon.ca a while ago. Should be arriving soon.
I just pre-ordered B5 S2 from them as well. It's only gonna arrive around 10-24 June , but that's around my birthday so its good.
I'm also gonna get the Pioneer DV-355 dvd player when LOTR arrives.Just waiting for the price to drop a bit more.

Hot Rocks I don't have in any format, actually - I figured it's pretty pointless since I am fairly sure I have all the same stuff on separate albums and the singles collection anyway.

Yeah, it would be silly for you to have it. It is a great collection for non-hardcore fans. The only Stones albums I have as of now are the SACDs listed and Sticky Fingers and Exile On Main Street on CD. It's a shame that Sticky Fingers was made after ABKCO, so it doesn't have an SACD release. It is my favorite Stones album.

Not famaliar with the first 2, and the third rings a bell but I was never really into their stuff much.

If anyone takes any of my rock musical recommendations to heart, let it be Marillion, particularly their more recent material. Their old stuff is great, too, but it may sound a bit dated to some people. Brave, Afraid of Sunlight, Marillion.com and Anoraknophobia are great places to start.

It's a shame that Sticky Fingers was made after ABKCO, so it doesn't have an SACD release. It is my favorite Stones album.
Yeah, mine too. The only album where there's not a single bad song - it's terrific from beginning to end.

On all other albums, I love about half the songs at the most. Maybe just Tattoo You is as consistent in the songs as Sticky Fingers but the overall level is just a bit lower.

Perhaps Virgin will get around to releasing their part of the Stones' back catalogue as SACDs one day - probably depends on the success of this ABKCO remasters' release as well.

Even with Sticky Fingers I don't like all the songs. IMO, they don't make particularly strong albums as a whole. Their strength lies in individual songs. It's just that Sticky Fingers and Beggar's Banquet happen to have a lot of songs I like.

The only song on Sticky Fingers I'm not all that crazy about is Brown Sugar. :D It makes a great live song though but I just don't like the album version too much. (Same with Jumpin' Jack Flash.)

Some took a while to grow on me... Sway for example, but when I discovered that the recipe for that was to play it *loud*, it got quite good. :D

Anyway, as for other recent entertainment purchases... I bought a year's web hosting last week, does that count? :D

Mior correction to my original post in this thread:

The Howlin' Wolf song that I referred to as "300 Pounds of Fun" is actually called "300 Pounds of Joy". :eek:

Just picked up Ai Yori Aoshi Vol 1: Faithfully Yours,
And RahXephon Orchestration 1: Threshold today.

Looks like I'm well on my way to another collection of series. ;)

Rommie ;)

Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon, SACD
Possibly the greatest selling studio album of all time has just been released as a hybrid Super Audio CD in 5.1. Since it's a hybrid, it can be played on all CD players. With a SACD player and a surround sound system, you can dig Floyd like they've never been heard before. The word is that this disc sounds phenomenal

I bought this last night. I listened to it once, on my DVD "home theater in a box" system with 5.1 surround.

It sounded great! :cool: :eek: :cool: :D

Best Buy was selling it for the same price as the standard CD version ($13.99). If they're the same price and this version plays just fine on a standard CD player ..... then why would anyone buy the standard CD? :confused:

It's not so much that people would now buy the standard CD, it's that most people already have a CD of Dark Side, so it's just not worth it for them to buy yet another copy. I myself now have two CDs of Dark Side, one of which I will probably never use again.

Which player are you using?

Ach, I picked up some good stuff this weekend. Quick list (since I just LOVE listmaking):

-Rolling Stones~Forty Licks -- Yes, I finally bought a Stones CD. :D

-John Coltrane~A Love Supreme -- Well, I couldn't find any new Parker CDs, and then proceeded to stumble across this, which I had been meaning to buy at some point in time. Listening to it as I type this, in fact.

-Benny Goodman~Some 2-disc collection -- Hey, I didn't have any Goodman prior to buying this, and it was $11.99. Can't beat that!

-Devil May Cry 2 for the PS2 -- Sure, some people have said bad things about it, but so far I'm loving it. And running up walls, despite having no real purpose, just looks SO DAMN COOL.

*bows out*

-John Coltrane~A Love Supreme -- Well, I couldn't find any new Parker CDs, and then proceeded to stumble across this, which I had been meaning to buy at some point in time. Listening to it as I type this, in fact.

This is one of those live-altering albums for me.

Which CD did you get? They just came out with a 2 CD set which includes the only recorded live version of A Love Supreme as well as a few alernate takes. There's also a SACD out (not hybrid, unfortunately) which sounds gorgeous.

That's cool. What bugs me is that it's really a 4-part piece, yet they put it on three tracks, but they do that on all CD versions of the album.

Channe, have you heard Amnesiac?

It's not so much that people would now buy the standard CD, it's that most people already have a CD of Dark Side, so it's just not worth it for them to buy yet another copy. I myself now have two CDs of Dark Side, one of which I will probably never use again.

I understand that.

What I found odd was at the Best Buy store they still had the standard CD version on the shelves next to the hybrid SACD, and at the exact same price. That was what prompted me to ask who they expected to buy the older standard CD in those circumstances.

Which player are you using?
I double checked the model number last night (due to the sneaking suspicion that I could misquote one character and hit an actual different model). It is a Sony DAV-S500.
Not the top of their line or anything, but it works well enough for me right now. :cool:

Cool.

Let me know if you need links to some great sites where you can get SACDs. There are a whole bunch of great ones that you won't find in stores.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back