• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

New SFC promo mentions RANGERS

Thank you Joe for giving me "JOE's" (JMS)news info. address! I appreciate it!

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The Ambassador Joseph DeMartino:
I'm not sure those were clips from Crusade. The shots of the Excalibur appear to be from angles I've never seen before. Maybe this was left-over test footage, or maybe this is one of the continuity problems that has been referred to on the board.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was going to say it was from ACTA, but JMS beat me to it. =) But it is definitely NOT some scrap material. It's in the finished production. Those wormhole scenes in the promo all occurred before or at Daltron 7, I believe.

(drools)

Excuse me. =)

------------------
Witness my perfection. =)

[This message has been edited by Xan (edited July 16, 2001).]

I don't know if it's me but when I looked at JMSnews there was only one message for July. Is that quote up yet?

Welcome Xan. Just curious but is your handle form Farscape? If so I think it's actually spelled Zhaan. Not that it matters but I figured maybe I could tell you so that you don't build up some posts and than want to change your handle.

------------------
Bus
"The pink ones keep ya from screamin'." Grandpa

I'm not sure those were clips from Crusade. The shots of the Excalibur appear to be from angles I've never seen before. Maybe this was left-over test footage, or maybe this is one of the continuity problems that has been referred to on the board.

Or my memory is playing tricks on me and that is Crusade footage, used simply because it was all they had available. (It could also be that the shots were from ACtA, rather than the series.)

The "teaser" trailer for Star Trek: First Contact used what was obviously footage of the Enterprise D not only from Generations but from the series, as well as a shot of Beverly firing a phaser that came from the series. Why? Because the trailer was in theaters six or eight months before the film was released and they hadn't finished the FX footage for the new film. Therefore they had no clips available.

BTW, the Rangers section of the promo lasted a lot longer than 1 second. They had the title logo, a couple of space shotes and a couple of quick cuts of people from the new cast. (One of the reason they may have used Crusade or ACtA footage, rather than space shots from B5 is the difference in the way the jumpgates appear.) After all, most of the potential new viewers that Sci-Fi was trying to get excited about upcoming projects wouldn't recognize Excalibur (or Victory
smile.gif
) and would have no idea that it "didn't belong in a Rangers promo."

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

I agree with you Joe, on the point that there probably isn't any available "CGI" that has been competed at this point to show off for "Legend of the Rangers", so, instead of using footage from "Babyon 5", which is more known to fans than "Crusade"...The Sci Fi Channel figured that they could get away with using the 'FX' from "Crusades" as most people, exspecially the new target fan base won't pick-up on that fact! But, there are a few exceptional people (fans) on these boards that have developed an "Eagle Eye" for details! These individuals can be commended for this! The Sci Fi Channel can't fool them all!

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>I don't know if it's me but when I looked at JMSnews there was only one message for July. Is that quote up yet?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

See my message from July 15 10:05 PM.
smile.gif

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doctor Gonzo:
Welcome Xan. Just curious but is your handle form Farscape? If so I think it's actually spelled Zhaan. Not that it matters but I figured maybe I could tell you so that you don't build up some posts and than want to change your handle.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, I'm not referring to P'au Zotoh Zhaan. =) Xan Kriegor is the boss from the game Unreal Tournament. I just can't get enough of his funny taunts.
tongue.gif

------------------
Witness my perfection. =)

I take it your earlier quote came from the newgroup. How recent was that?

------------------
Bus
"The pink ones keep ya from screamin'." Grandpa

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>...then it is possible that the Excalibur/Victory could be seen within the first season of b5lr since it usually takes a few years of testing to complete a prototype ship.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In A Call to Arms it is strongly implied that they're just starting the test phase on the prototypes, so this seems unlikely.

Besides, JMS said that the footage in the promo was from ACtA and was grabbed because the completed CGI from Rangers is just coming in.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>I take it your earlier quote came from the newgroup. How recent was that?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The quote is not from the newsgroup. As I said above, it came through "other channels." I got the information about 20 minutes before I posted the message. Had to wait that long to send a request for permission to use the quote up the food chain and get a reply. The original source was not a public communication.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

We Have to all keep in mind that the Excalibur was completed 5 years after s5 started (the ISA was founded at the end of s4 but enacted at the start of s5). If b5lr takes place 2 years after the events of the end of s5) then it is possible that the Excalibur/Victory could be seen within the first season of b5lr since it usually takes a few years of testing to complete a prototype ship. There could be a possible mention of the one of the prototypes in b5lr. But more realistically, it is most likely left over crusade footage added into the promo to add visuals.

------------------

I saw the Rangers' clip during both episodes of Chronicle. I'm sure it will be shown again. It was brief but made you sit up and say wow!

------------------
God be between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk.

Joe said:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>The original source was not a public communication.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Careful Joe your divulging your teep abilities again.

Earlier you said:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Excalibur and Victory are being built at an Earth Alliance shipyard. There is much talk about how they had to reverse-engineer Minbari and Vorlon technology to make them work. (Which always struck me as odd - if these are IA ships, why didn't the Minbari just give them the technology?)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

IIRC, I don't think they were just going to be EA ships. They were a joint Earth-Minbari ship, outside the auspices of the IA because of some concerns about the tech going to the other races.

From Lurker's Guide:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>But Sheridan points out that reverse engineering Vorlon and Minbari technology to fit human technology is uncharted waters, and caution is necessary. The construction is top secret, not the least because the other races are likely to object to Earth, Minbar, and Sheridan being the sole beneficiaries of the project. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> (emphasis added)

So here we have an Earth-Minbar project exactly the opposite of what Delenn said one of the principles of the alliance was--to share technology.

------------------

[This message has been edited by curt (edited July 18, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by curt (edited July 18, 2001).]

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back