• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

News post: Rangers promotion steps up

B5LR

Regular
<font size="+1">Rangers promotion steps up</font>
<font size="3">Banners to promote show now running across UGO ad network</font>

The SCI FI Channel is, as they say, putting its money where its mouth is, and has signed up with UGO to promote the new Rangers telemovie.

Banners promoting the telemovie have started to appear on sites in UGO.com's sci-fi network, which includes popular sites such as TrekToday, SlipstreamWeb, JediNet.com and Ringzone.

This is great news to those worried that the telemovie wouldn't be promoted properly. Advertising on popular sites such as th ones above is a very good sign, and is key to gaining new fans in addition to present B5 fans. Plus, we still have over two months left until the US airdate. So a lot more is bound to happen in addition to this, and the previously announced car wrapping.

B5LR.com has declined to run the banners on site, but if you are interested in what the banner looks like, here it is:

b5lr_gkar_468x60.gif

I've been informed that other banners will be created and run as part of the campaign in the future.

[This message has been edited by B5LR (edited November 17, 2001).]

Well, that banner will probably generate a bit of interest, especially when targeted at sites with a high "fanboy"
crazy.gif
quota. I think you'll need to add jms' response to the "Not another super powerful race" message to the FAQ, though
wink.gif

------------------
Evil alien at large! Looking for cities to pillage and women to abduct! Pre-jumptech planets preferred. (Run your own country? Ask for my special collaborator package, with extensive health coverage and a life-time personal assistant!)

drakh@spamcop.net

drakh, or anyone else. Does the joke on that banner seem a bit familar? Taking in to account what I put by one of the pictures in the Mackenzie Gray interview? Hmm.

------------------
"In the book which is my memory, on the first page of the chapter which is the day that I met you, appear the words: 'Here begins a new life'"

Antony - that was the first thing I thought of. "That sounds a lot like..."

Maybe it's just coincidence.

I'm not sure what I think of that ad... it's flippant, almost. But it does generate some interest. I know I'd be interested.

But... hmm... there's just something about it that...

------------------
The writer's life is not meant to be a happy one. We all accept that going in. -JMS

I'm *very* impressed with SFC's promotion of the
movie. TNT never did anything like this! It's great to have support, isn't it?
smile.gif

Tammy

------------------

"We're in here! Can anyone hear us?"
"I hear you." [giggle, laugh]
"In here!"
"We are here." [giggle, laugh]
-- Londo and G'Kar in Babylon 5:"Convictions"

Tammy's Station
http://community.webtv.net/gkarfan/TammysStation

It's still very much for the B5 fan, though.

The promotional thing I have in mind doesn't require any knowledge of B5.
smile.gif

------------------
"In the book which is my memory, on the first page of the chapter which is the day that I met you, appear the words: 'Here begins a new life'"

Just curious, Antony; Why'd you decline?

------------------
"Draal gave Zathras list of things not to say. This was one.
No. Not good.
Not supposed to mention one, or THE one.
Hmmmm.

You never heard that."

Ha! The answer's on the Premium Memebers board! Ha! Ha ha!

*falls of chair*

ahem...

laugh.gif

------------------
'I don't have a hat beuetuaufifal, only a graep. Give me a case for solving or give me dearth, or gets on a bus' - Detective Grape on ehad

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by admiraldave:
"Take their lunch money"? Kind of a silly line, IMO.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It seems to be aimed at the teen crowd, which would tend to alienate the older crowd a bit.

I wouldn't show that GIF to my adult friends and peers. If I did, I'd probably get the reaction "Aren't you a little old for a teen show?" (similar reaction I get when I tell people how good a show Buffy and Angel are, though those words are not voiced; it's the "looks" and
crazy.gif
it gets).

Hopefully there will be more serious, adult-oriented GIFs in the future.
crazy.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 19, 2002 at 9PM on The Sci-Fi Channel.
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nukemall:
Ha! The answer's on the Premium Memebers board! Ha! Ha ha!

*falls of chair*

ahem...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

*Also falls off chair*

Ha! Ha!
laugh.gif

------------------
"Mr. Bester."
"Captain Sheridan."
"Get the hell out of my chair!"
- John J. Sheridan and Alfred Bester

Sigh, you premium members!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by B5_Obsessed:
Just curious, Antony; Why'd you decline?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well a certain part of SCIFI.com has been treating B5LR.com with utter contempt. So IMHO that extends to me, you, and the actors who are taking the time to do such things as interviews and post here. So I'm not going to shake their left hand while their right hand punches me, so I've backed out of running their banners.

------------------

A simple way of defining the new aliens. It says that they are strong, evil and very old.

------------------
Andrew Swallow

Weird, you'd think Sci-Fi would encourage more sites to be about the movie. So how exactly are they punching you?

Wouldn't make sense anyway to advertise B5LR on a site that is dedicated to the movie... I think the address itself tends advertise it.

The banner is pretty funny, must agree it does sound familiar... I recall people making similar jokes in a thread I had dedicated to em (bad guys).
crazy.gif
But it's nice to see sci-fi is trying, can't wait for what this site has in mind for promotion.

------------------
Marc Cosgrove

"From chaos, order came. As was inevitable." -Summoning light

I haven't been keeping up with things nearly as much recently, but does this banner offer the first we've heard of the air time for the TV movie? We'd heard Jan 19 before, but I wasn't aware that the time had been set (9pm Eastern).

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AntonyF:
drakh, or anyone else. Does the joke on that banner seem a bit familar? Taking in to account what I put by one of the pictures in the Mackenzie Gray interview? Hmm.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
We were supposed to read that?
smile.gif

Seriously, I think I'm the only person that reads nothing but posts here. I came for the board and I stay for the board, for up to date news, well, you guys usually spill if it's something important.
Ahh.... The virtues of being young and ignorant.....
cool.gif

------------------
I am Yu Lau! I am nobody's bitch! You are mine!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> TNT never did anything like this! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, they did. I've still got my Babylon 5 on TNT T-Shirt and a couple Babylon 5 beer cups from the "Premiere Party" TNT sponsored when B5 first went over.
It wasn't until Crusade that the MBAdiots started trying to mess with things.

TNT had a split personality.
There were the Babylon 5 fans who worked at TNT and were responsible for the show getting a 5th season.
Then there was a completely Different group, in a different City, who thought they knew more about how to make a good TV show than JMS.

The ones who wanted the series description to be:
"BoobWatch has sex with the WWW and the Wrestlers get pregnant".

------------------
The 3 most common elements in the Universe:
Hydrogen, Greed, Stupidity!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bakana:
Yes, they did. I've still got my Babylon 5 on TNT T-Shirt
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now, that's something I'd never wear!
crazy.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bakana:
...and a couple Babylon 5 beer cups from the "Premiere Party" TNT sponsored when B5 first went over.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please describe them. I'm picturing cheap, disposable, plastic dixie (no pun intended) cups with "Babylon 5" imprinted on one side, in one color.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Well a certain part of SCIFI.com has been treating B5LR.com with utter contempt. So IMHO that extends to me, you, and the actors who are taking the time to do such things as interviews and post here. So I'm not going to shake their left hand while their right hand punches me, so I've backed out of running their banners. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good call, although it will probablly just increase the animosity toward you. The split-personality situation is shockingly reminiscent of the TNT L.A. vs. TNT Atlanta scenario.

I think I understand where they're coming from though. Face it, you're site is bigger, better, and receives more traffic than their cookie cutter sites. It's got to bug them.

Plus, even the drawing power of the chats is diminished when you can ask Dylan a question any time over here, or write a story with Warren, etc.
laugh.gif

So, you are stealing their thunder. The marketing boys repect this and want to advertize here, whereas the creative guys want to smack you silly for making them look bad.

That's business for ya!

------------------
"Draal gave Zathras list of things not to say. This was one.
No. Not good.
Not supposed to mention one, or THE one.
Hmmmm.

You never heard that."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by B5_Obsessed:
Good call, although it will probablly just increase the animosity toward you. The split-personality situation is shockingly reminiscent of the TNT L.A. vs. TNT Atlanta scenario.

I think I understand where they're coming from though. Face it, you're site is bigger, better, and receives more traffic than their cookie cutter sites. It's got to bug them.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I don't spend much "quality time"* over there because their site is SO SLOW and FULL of annoying ads. The Sci-Fi site also lacks the functionality, and the nice features of this site (e.g. Searches that actually work, and avatars). If the people who created the Sci-Fi site are jealous of this site, they should get off their butts and design a better site. Hell, how about if they'd just update their update page???

* I do spend time over there though, mostly waiting for pages to load and closing the interminable ads that are always cropping up.
mad.gif

Plus, even the drawing power of the chats is diminished when you can ask Dylan a question any time over here, or write a story with Warren, etc.
laugh.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm hesitant to write this (because I don't want to give 'em any ideas), but lets hope they don't do a TNT-style tactic and try to bar the actors from coming here.
frown.gif
crazy.gif
mad.gif

So, you are stealing their thunder. The marketing boys repect this and want to advertize here, whereas the creative guys want to smack you silly for making them look bad.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then Sci-Fi's creative guys should get off their dead asses and make a site that's more worth visiting, instead of attacking the competition. Gees, this is shades of Paramount vs. Babylon 5!
mad.gif
Trying to think of the other side of the coin, you know, this might be a case of the web design people at Sci-Fi just being overworked. They might not have enough people to support all of Sci-Fi's web pages in a timely manner, and might be hearing the "Do more with less." spiel from upper management. It's funny how grunts always seem to have to do more with less, but while bosses get to do less with more.

It might be worth putting their ads. on this site (Babylon 5/Crusade/B5:LotR related ads. only) to sort of extend an olive branch and not have then go full TNT-stupid on us.

Just a thought.
smile.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back