• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Rangers trailer to be shown at LotR screenings!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hypatia:
I still don't watch Turner Network Trash.
mad.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I second that.
mad.gif

------------------
"The universe is already mad, anything else would be redundant."
Rising Star | The Coming of TNT | blackstar@welivefortheone.b5lr.com

Were all part of Ted Turners Empire, If you use, watch, or listen to these company. Your part of the turner Empire becuase they are all part of AOLTimewarner <--Co Ted owns

AOL
Braves Baseball
CNN
CNN Headline news
Netscape
TBS
Parts of MGM
Atlanta Hawks basketball
WCW untill last year
WB
Babylon 5
Time

How does B5 be part of the Turner Empire

B5-bablonian Productions-WB-AOLTIMEWarner-Ted Turner's Empire

Sence B5 Left TNT its still part of Ted Turner Empire

------------------
Webmaster for B5:A2
Babylon 5: Armada II
A MOD for Star Trek: Armada II
http://www.tgu.org.uk/users/babylon5/

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nukemall:
Methinks that the same is true for really attractive teachers
laugh.gif
- My GCSE french teacher at school was *really* fit and was teaching a set of 15 pubescent boys.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Our rather attractive French/German teacher once turned up at a non-uniform (for the kids) day in St.Trinians-style school uniform - short skirt, stockings (we think!), hair in pigtails ... That was about fourteen years ago now, but the images are still burned into my mind!

Back on topic: I like the idea of a promotional T-shirt, but I'd only wear it to sf-related events or as an undershirt. I also like the idea of a tie, but as long as it's subtle - the Rangers' badge as a small (4 or 5 cm) piece at the bottom of the tie, or small, repeating B5 shields, that sort of thing.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Adam:
Were all part of Ted Turners Empire, If you use, watch, or listen to these company. Your part of the turner Empire becuase they are all part of AOLTimewarner <--Co Ted owns
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ted Turner doesn't own AOL-Time Warner. He's just in charge of a piece of it--the piece that runs cable networks like CNN and TNT.

------------------

Folks, Last Night my wife and I saw an ad for LofTR on the Discovery Channel (during the Junkyard MegaWars event)!

So I guess that this shows Sci-Fi is commited, putting ads on other networks besides their own!!

I am VERY pleased..

Tony Miller
Monroe, WA

------------------
A lady came up to me on the street, pointed at my suede jacket and said "Do
you know a cow was murdered to make that jacket?"
"I didn't know there were any witnesses", I replied " Now I'll have to kill
you too.."

I suggest caution if they are going to run this thing at Fellowship of the Ring.

I hope they are cutting another trailer just for this purpose - one that wil tone down the action a bit and emphasize the characters, drama, and mythos of B5.

This is absolutely necessary!

After all, Lord of the Rings is not about blowing stuff up. A trailer full of gunfire and explosions might turn the Tolkien crowd right off.

I liked a lot of what I saw in the first trailer. It was somber. And though it showed some action, it was set to the music of Christopher Franke's requiem. And G'Kar's quote about the city... BILLIONS of years old - that MUST be in it, IMHO.

I know that the first trailer was put together before any effects were done, which is why it was so character-focused, but I think that any new trailer should be more subdued than the second trailer was and put the focus back on the story.

So I hope SciFi is listening. Tread lightly fellas. This promotion requires a delicate touch. Do NOT dumb it down!

------------------
"Draal gave Zathras list of things not to say.
This was one. No.... *tsk tsk*
No. Not good.
Not supposed to mention... "one", or... THE one.
Hmmmm.
You never heard that."

[This message has been edited by B5_Obsessed (edited November 26, 2001).]

Most of the people going to see Lord of the Rings will not be die-hard Tolkien fans. This movie will be the next Big Blockbuster, drawing in all sorts of folks. I'm sure plenty of the folks that saw the Harry Potter movie didn't read the books.

Ideally, the trailer will show character stuff and action, but there's only so much you can do in 30 seconds.

I don't care either way. This would be a huge thing for the B5 franchise, a step in getting B5 recognised as something beyond a quirky underground sci-fi nerd thing.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>I don't care either way. This would be a huge thing for the B5 franchise, a step in getting B5 recognised as something beyond a quirky underground sci-fi nerd thing.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which is EXACTLY why I'm urging caution. There's a lot riding on Rangers making a good first impression.

------------------
No. Not good.
Hmmmm.
You never heard that."

I'm crossing my fingers.

The Tolkein trailer is going to be interesting, as we all know that the word "Rangers" carries deep connotations in that mythos as well.

I think Dulann's speech from the first trailer would make a great, great, great frame for the Tolkein trailer - "we are born in starlight," etc., etc. It's a speech absolutely PACKED with mythos.

------------------
The writer's life is not meant to be a happy one. We all accept that going in. -JMS

Yes, it will be interesting to see what is actually shown as a trailer

------------------
"Will you follow me into fire? Into storm, into darkness, into death?!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by B5_Obsessed:
I hope they are cutting another trailer just for this purpose - one that wil tone down the action a bit and emphasize the characters, drama, and mythos of B5.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Ideally, it should start with character/plot and end with a CGI extravaganza. Kinda like a blending of the two trailers we have currently.

I sent a note to the moderated group, asking jms if he had any input on it. I hope he answers.

------------------
"When a spark goes online, there's great joy --
When one's extinguished, the universe weeps." (audio)
-- Rhinox, "The Spark", Beast Wars

drakh@spamcop.net

[This message has been edited by drakh (edited November 26, 2001).]

Thanks Drakh.

I'm not really plugged into the moderated group, but I do think the content of the cinematic trailer is a very important issue and needs to be tailored to fit the venue.

Maybe it can be brought up at the chats, too.

------------------
No. Not good.
Hmmmm.
You never heard that."

Obsessed,

The actors' involvement with B5LR doesn't include input on the trailers - they probably won't know much, if anything at all.

------------------
The writer's life is not meant to be a happy one. We all accept that going in. -JMS

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tcmiller:
Folks, Last Night my wife and I saw an ad for LofTR on the Discovery Channel (during the Junkyard MegaWars event)!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tony,

Can you describe a bit about the ad you saw? How long was it? What was it's content? What did it say about watching Rangers?

Does anyone here know whether the B5LR trailer is scheduled to run at UK showings of LOTR, or is limited to US cinemas?

Doesn't make any difference as I am a huge fan of the LOTR trilogy and would be going anyway, but it is always nice to know these things.

laugh.gif

------------------
DaveC
"Want to talk socks?"

I don't know but I would very much doubt it, especially if no British TV channel has picked the movie up yet.

It wouldn't make much sense for the US SciFi to promote their telemovie in other countries.
frown.gif

------------------
"Narns, Humans, Centauri... we all do what we do for the same reason: because it seems like a good idea at the time." - G'Kar, Mind War
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com

I can't believe it. It is great news. This can definitely improve rating of the Ranger movie.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Obsessed,
The actors' involvement with B5LR doesn't include input on the trailers - they probably won't know much, if anything at all.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't mean it that way. I just meant that it could be brought up since it is a SciFi chat venue, moderated by SciFi.com. With any luck, someone important might hear about it.

Ah, to make it simple, I think I'll just email my concerns back to the T-Shirt address. I mean, they're the ones running this "guerilla advertizing" campaign anyway.

------------------
No. Not good.
Hmmmm.
You never heard that."

Ah! Ok. Sorry about the misunderstanding!

------------------

There was a news item on scifi.com on this today and apparently the trailer will only be shown in the ten biggest US markets.

------------------
"Crying isn't gonna get your dog back. Unless your tears smell like dog food. So you can sit here eating can after can of dog food until your tears smell like dog food or you can go out there and find your dog."-Homer in The Canine Mutiny

Latest posts

Members online

Back