• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

SciFi airs Crusade marathon!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>B5 got a lot of promotion before its debut last September, ... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, but that was eleven months ago! I haven't seen a whole lot since...

This may not be a good comparison, but where I live, I couldn't get away with that kind of schedule for watering my plants, changing the oil in my car, etc. I do think you need some kind of maintenance schedule for advertising a relatively unknown TV show as well...

Of course, in a world of fixed budgets, it may not be judged the best use of funds, etc., and that's a different story...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>What might help B5's ratings a bit is if Sci-Fi advertised the start of each new rerun cycle. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It certainly couldn't hurt!
smile.gif

------------------
"What's up, Drakh?"

Michael Garibaldi

Advertising every time they start the series over would certainly be a big help, that's how I got into it. I've got a couple of friends who are going to start watching it on the next run.

------------------
What are those Earth creatures called? Feathers, long bill, webbed feet .. go 'quack'?"

"Cats."

"Cats. I'm being nibbled to death by cats."

one of the considerations for advertising is that they only have so many minutes of commercial time per hour. If their sales people are doing a really Good job, they don't have any minutes to devote to advertising their own stuff.

Not that this seems to be the case yet with SciFi.

The other consideration might be that they feel the need to Push some of the other shows at us, but have confidence that B5 will get its audience without any reminders.

What it comes down to in the end, though is Profit. If a show is costing more than it brings in, sooner or later, it is History.

B5 has, so far as I know, always turned a very Nice profit.
cool.gif

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.
Shall we exchange Recipes?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>B5 has, so far as I know, always turned a very Nice profit. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For Warner Bros., sure. But it also has to turn a profit for the Sci-Fi Channel (and a larger profit than they could expect from a comparable show) if it is to hang on to its timeslot or even stay on the air.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GideonsMine:
I have never taken this much part in any form of trying to save a show because I never believed it would work. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, something made you change your mind, didn't it GedeonsMine?
wink.gif
You made me think of my pitiful efforts to letter-write for the "Save Crusade" campaign. (And BTW, I like the Crusade to save Crusade site, too, that' where I got my addresses and ideas from.)

It can't hurt, I figure. I just don't know if letter writing is going to do any good for Rangers or not. Doesn't Sci-Fi KNOW already what fan base JMS has?

And WHEN should we do the letter writing? Now? January?

------------------
"I do not believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense,
reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."-- Galileo

This is why it may not be such a bad thing if SciFi takes a break after the next run. The people already watching need a rest and when it starts again they'll probably make a bigger deal out of it.

I would also think if Rangers goes ahead it will attract more people to the original show.

------------------
Bus

"Yeah, we could start our own game where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing's the way it seems."-Homer

i wish they'd do it another day, too. it was almost good timing for me, since i don't have classes that day. it's one of our "reading days" before mid terms. however, i'll probably be sleeping most of that day, far from my vcr, since i'll be spending a fair bit of the night before in an observatory. i'm supposed to go with some of the astronomy profs and other students to arizona to do some observing (possibly asteroid-hunting, but i'm not certain) over that break.

------------------
-dief, the scholar
Hail Booji!

It's actually scheduled for the "Columbus Day observed" slot on the calendar. If you're in the US, there's at least a chance you're off school that day.

I won't be off work, however, unless I were to actually take a vacation day, and I'm not sure I'm THAT dedicated.
wink.gif

Ro

------------------
I have no surviving
enemies. At all.

Galen

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back