• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The New TNN

Geez....just when I was actually starting to watch TNN for some of their shows that aren't rerun on Sci Fi. Television for men..isn't that Playboy or any of the other adult channels? My wife watches Lifetime and I always give her a hard time and ask, "Television for women? Where's the televions for men?" She always replies, "It's 90% of the channels."

Seems like they wouldn't have enought time to determine who their audience is with their quick turn arounds and name changes.

Seems like they wouldn't have enought time to determine who their audience is with their quick turn arounds and name changes.

I've heard some speculation that the whole "Spike TV" thing might be a sign that Viacom feels confident that they'll shortly be acquiring USA Network (and, most likely, the Sci-Fi Channel) from Vivendi.

When Viacom changed TNN from "The Nashville Network" to "The National Network", their goal was to reposition the channel into a "general interest" cable channel, much in the mold of channels like TNT and, yes, USA. But if they're soon going to own USA -- which is much better established in that arena than newcomer TNN -- they certainly wouldn't want those two channels competing in the same market, so the obvious solution would be to (again) refocus TNN.

Whatever. We'll see...

That makes sense, you don't want to own two cable channels that are exactly alike. I guess I'll just have to wait and see how this is going to work out. For now I'm just happy that TNN picked up a few of the shows that I like to watch.

There was a channel I use to get on satellite years ago from Nova Scotia..it was soo cool. It would show all the shows on a certain night line up all in a row. It would show the block from NBC, then CBS, and ABC so nothing conflicted...sorry for the rambling...just walking down tv memory lane..

New eps of Ren and Stimpy DOES sound good

I've read that they're bringing back John K, the show's creator and producer of the first twelve eps. Those are the ones before Nickelodeon took over and the show turned into the Sick Bodily Fluid Show. He was also the original voice of Ren (replaced by Billy West, who already voiced Stimpy). This is good news for anyone who preferred the manic humour of the show as opposed to the gross violence.

Odd... I always thought that the show felt the same throughout. Oh well, I'm still lookin' forward to more R&S. Now, if only Invader ZIM could get back to being made.... But I fear it's too late for that. :(

"Why is there BACON in the soap?!"

"I MADE IT MYSELF!"

So if this new mega-corp gets going, where would the sci-fi part go?

My guess is that, unfortunately, the Sci-Fi Channel wouldn't be much affected, and that they'd continue their current trend towards... well, I can't think of a polite term for it, so we'll leave it at that...

So if this new mega-corp gets going, where would the sci-fi part go?

My guess is that, unfortunately, the Sci-Fi Channel wouldn't be much affected, and that they'd continue their current trend towards... well, I can't think of a polite term for it, so we'll leave it at that...

...their current trend towards the dregs of TV? See, polite and yet right on the mark. ;)

Why bother being polite? :devil:

The world needs more angry critics!

Like the ones who questioned Bonnie Hammer about Farscape's cancellation? :devil:

I agree.

...their current trend towards the dregs of TV? See, polite and yet right on the mark. ;)

Yes, I think that works... :)

Why bother being polite?

Becuase, in all honesty, I can't condemn them for it.

Their job has nothing to do with producing quality programming. Their job is to make the most money they can for the huge conglomerate which owns them, by generating audiences to sell to the advertisers. And, as much as it pains me to say it, I think they're doing their job pretty well.

If I'm going to support some form of capitalism as an economic system, I figure I'm going to have to live with stuff like that.

TNN is changing its name to "Spike TV" and will be the first cable TV station aimed at men

That's funny. With the exception of Lifetime and Oxygen, I thought they all were.

Not quite like Spike TV is going to be aimed at men, i.e. exclusively at men.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back