• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

What do we know about Polaris?

JJ: remind me not to invite your "Nancy" over to any parties, ok? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

"Hey, what did you just do to my guest! I specifically told you: don't murder the guests! So what is this? "

<font color="yellow"> Originally posted by GaribaldisHair: </font color>
Problem is KoshN, that is not a decision that is in JMS' hands. The contract between Warner and Del Rey was for 9 original books in 3 trilogies, all of which are now completed, and to my knowledge neither they, nor any other publisher, have expressed any interest in doing more.

Don't they know there's a MARKET? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Right now, we're starving for good sci-fi. The Crusade story was started and not finished. The Rangers story was started and not finished. Pardon my French, but who the hell likes to read just the first 10 pages of a book? Sheesh! What's it take to get Del Rey and Warner Brothers to wake up and smell the frellin' coffee???!!! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

We're NOT going to get any of these stories finished on TV. The idiots at Sci-Fi have seen to that. The written word is all we have left, and they're not interested?! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

No one with the name Nancy can be a bloodsucker. Nancy's are always intelligent, beautiful and charming. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Don't they know there's a MARKET?

Right now, we're starving for good sci-fi. The Crusade story was started and not finished. The Rangers story was started and not finished. Pardon my French, but who the hell likes to read just the first 10 pages of a book? Sheesh! What's it take to get Del Rey and Warner Brothers to wake up and smell the frellin' coffee???!!!

We're NOT going to get any of these stories finished on TV. The idiots at Sci-Fi have seen to that. The written word is all we have left, and they're not interested?!

I am fairly sure I remember JMS making some comments (probably between the Centauri and Technomage trilogies IIRC) to the effect that sales of the books was going to have to improve in order for there to be a chance of any more.

Given the lack of movement in this area (apart from the B5 quote book due soon) I can only surmise that the required improvement did not occur and Del Rey, being a business like any other, do not consider their potential profitability good enough to justify doing more.

I am not defending them, as I would love to see more books myself, but I think it comes down to a point Joe DeM made in the thread about how much money B5 makes for WHV - the fanbase for B5 is very committed but small in the context of the market as a whole.

Del Rey, or any publisher, will be looking for the maximum possible return for its investment in any work and if it does not feel the market is large enough it will not make that investment no matter how much the market that does exist might be crying out for it.

And as far as being "starved of good sc-fi" is concerned, this is definitely true in TV terms - Dark Angel has gone, Farscape has gone, Firefly has gone, Odyssey 5 (one of my current faves) has gone, Jeremiah is much more fantasy than SF, likewise Buffy, Angel etc., Polaris is passed over in favour of Intergalactic Vampires (for crying out loud!).

However, in book terms there is a lot of really good stuff out there already and continuing to be produced. That is Del Rey's marketplace, and therefore the marketplace that any new B5 books would be going into and making a profit.

Ah ... the joys of capitalism.

/forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

I am fairly sure I remember JMS making some comments (probably between the Centauri and Technomage trilogies IIRC) to the effect that sales of the books was going to have to improve in order for there to be a chance of any more.

Given the lack of movement in this area (apart from the B5 quote book due soon) I can only surmise that the required improvement did not occur and Del Rey, being a business like any other, do not consider their potential profitability good enough to justify doing more.

Then why did Del Rey go ahead with the Dell Book #7 reprint?

I am not defending them, as I would love to see more books myself, but I think it comes down to a point Joe DeM made in the thread about how much money B5 makes for WHV - the fanbase for B5 is very committed but small in the context of the market as a whole.

Ahh, I haven't been following that thread since it appeared to be about how much money did B5 make for Warner Brothers (the studio, not WHV), and since we can't know that, there seemed to be no point to following the discussion.

However, in book terms there is a lot of really good stuff out there already and continuing to be produced. That is Del Rey's marketplace, and therefore the marketplace that any new B5 books would be going into and making a profit.

Well, I'm going to write to Del Rey (Steve Saffel) and ask if any new B5 books are planned. If nothing else, it will indicate that there is a demand, and no supply, and that the written word is now our only recourse because there is no future for on TV for B5, and the ever worsening future of sci-fi on TV. That will leave it open for him to say the sales have been disappointing or something, and that Del Rey thinks there's no market. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

How do you figure Jeremiah to be fantasy?

It may not be space scifi but it is definately scifi, even for purists. Normal people dealing with the aftermath of a disease in the not too distant future where reclamation of technology is a big concern. It is about as purely scifi a show as you can get.

Heh, I was thinking the same thing ... Jeremiah is fantasy? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

How do you figure Jeremiah to be fantasy?

/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I don't. That is probably the most ridiculous thing I have ever said on this board (and that is going some).

I know that statement was not meant to be about Jeremiah, but I cannot for the life of me think what it should have been. Maybe I'll just go soak my head in Brivari for a couple of decades or so!

Sorry!!

/forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Don't sweat it, GH.

I also tend to consider non-"alien" and non-"outer-space" sci-fi as fantasy.

I don't care what you call it, as long as it's not crap. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hypatia and Nancy, Nancy is the name of Dr McCoy's old flame that the monster in Man Trap, STTOS, that was mentioned. Of course McCoy insisted that she was no monster, she was his Nancy! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif But what do you expect from a simple country Dr.? I have a friend named Nanci. As far as I know she never sucks enough blood or salt from anyone to be fatal. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

OK, I remember now. But I still hold that all Nancy's are intelligent, charming and beautiful! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Until they suck the life out of you. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Let's just say that some Nancy's are nicer than that. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Absolutely! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You can never be cool by just having a name.

You have to earn it. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

And you definitely have. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I like your signature too, Nancy. Whomever said it. I know there was a question about that awhile ago. Heck, it's still a great quote! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back