• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

CRUSADE NEWS ON CINESCAPE!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GKarsEye:
Yeah, this from the man who created Vorlons.

Please, this statement is so vague; it's ridiculous to try to derive anything from it.

What exactly does "deal with it" mean.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Methinks its a good way for the creator of modern sci fi to literally cut off the question asker at the knee caps, but with the utmost in politeness.

Also allows him to slide away from the question when he really has no answer to give.

------------------
Colleen L. Stanford
Gideon's Mine, all Mine
(he just doesn't know it yet, LOL)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by spuzzum:
Well, maybe I've missed something but I don't recall anything about Rangers being after the Telepath War.
smile.gif

I do remember a line from "A Call to Arms" mentioning "the recent telepath war" (I'm paraphrasing, but that was the gist of it).

And since Rangers is set two to three years before "ACTA," it seems perfectly poised to feature the Telepath War.

And no matter how big the universe is, I still say a Crusade revival is not likely. For Crusade to be revived on SciFi, we need:
1) Rangers movie to big good enough and/or get enough ratings to go to series;
2) Rangers series to be good enough and/or get enough ratings for Sci-Fi to order Crusade series;
3) JMS's desire to bring back Crusade;
4) a hole big enough in JMS's schedule to do it;
5) re-assembling the cast (or at least some of them).

Considering that we are at minimum a year a way from a possible Rangers series premiering, and therefore probably another year away form a Crusade return, reassembling the cast after four years also becomes problematic.

Impossible? Absolutely not!
Probable? Don't hold your breath.
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL
well you're quite the pessimist.
tongue.gif

------------------
Noone here is exactly what he appears.
Babylon 5
G'Kar - Andreas Katsulas

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> well you're quite the pessimist.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think I'm a pessimist, just a realist.

My first thought when I first heard about Rangers (and it's time frame) was "Woo hoo, now we'll get to find out what happened with the plague and the telepath war!"

I thought I was being optimistic believing we might see how those storylines resolved!

smile.gif

------------------
"No matter where you go, there you are."
-- B. Banzai

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>I don't think I'm a pessimist, just a realist.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. People often confuse the two.

------------------
The Revolution Will Not Be Televised.

lets all remember the Crusade marathon coming up... they could be testing the crusade waters... so we all are gonna haveta really support this marathon...

------------------
I have no one to envy...
I envy you having me to envy...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> The roundtable is scheduled in October to November (and this could change) so no one knows yet. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What is the roundtable? Is the SFC planning its 2002 lineup in November or something?

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by spuzzum:
I don't think I'm a pessimist, just a realist.

My first thought when I first heard about Rangers (and it's time frame) was "Woo hoo, now we'll get to find out what happened with the plague and the telepath war!"

I thought I was being optimistic believing we might see how those storylines resolved!

smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's more or less the way I feel about it. If B5LR becomes a series and covers the period from immediately after the pilot it will cover the period of the telepath war and A Call to Arms, i.e. the Drakh plague. Now this would not cover the last three years of Crusade. Notice, JMS said the cure to the plague would be found in the second year as that was only part of the Crusade story. So everyone could be right

smile.gif
We could get the telepath war and the Drakh plague in a B5LR series and still have time to return to Crusade after it was over.
crazy.gif

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Notice, JMS said the cure to the plague would be found in the second year as that was only part of the Crusade story. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not exactly true. He actually said....

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> ...that what everyone thought was a cure would be found in Season 2. But the cure "wouldn't work the way it was supposed to". The Excalibur crew would find out about this, but no one would believe them. This suggests that the plague story could go on past Season 2.</font></td></tr></table>

------------------

I don't deny that he's been saving the Drakh plague and the Telepath War in his back pocket.
The scuttlebutt for a long time was that he was saving the Telepath War for a possible B5 theatrical movie, which doesn't seem any closer than it was when that rumour first started a few years ago.
And why would he let the Telepath War and Drakh plague stories be told in books/comics/whatever if there's an outside chance of him to tell those stories in his preferred medium of television? If, for instance, the Drakh Plague becomes a novel, I would take it as a sure sign that Crusade was never coming back, and that B5 in any form was kaput as fas as tv was concerned.
Besides, dealing with the Plague on Rangers in no way negates bringing back Crusade. As Joe D. has pointed out, the plague was to be solved early on in run of Crusade (season2 if memory serves). The plague was just the hook to the show's main story. And that story remains untold.
JMS has always had trapdoors so he can carry on with his story. I think Rangers is his trapdoor for the Plague and the Telepath War.

------------------
-- B. Banzai

[This message has been edited by spuzzum (edited August 16, 2001).]

The scuttlebutt for a long time was that he was saving the Telepath War for a possible B5 theatrical movie, which doesn't seem any closer than it was when that rumour first started a few years ago.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>In an interview, jms said quite plainly that WB had paid him to write an outline for a possible feature film concerning the telepath war. And the timelines he's given indicate that the telepath war is over by the time of the Rangers pilot.

Subject:
Re: ATTN JMS: B5, TV movies, Crusade
Jms at B5
Date:
11/30/1998 06:12 AM
Forum:
Usenet

I think it's safe to say that we'll be hearing more about the telepath crisis
and its consequences in Crusade....

jms

B5 Official Fan Club at: http://www.thestation.com

You know, we can all play the "JMS Said This" game.
smile.gif

Nothing is canon until it shows up on screen or in a JMS-approved work. There's no reason why Rangers can't feature the Telepath War or the Drakh plague.
I think the chances of Crusade returning are slim to none, and JMS has said he's in no rush to do a theatrical movie -- 2005 at the earliest -- if at all. Just because JMS wrote up a movie outline, doesn't mean he won't mine that material if it seems that a theatrical movie won't get made. Most of the material in the four B5 tv-movies started as storyline for the B5 series. "In the Beginning" started out as an extension of the epiosde "Atomement," for example.

Would I love to see Crusade come back? You bet. Would I like to see a B5 theatrical movie? You bet. (It would be a 100 times better than 'Attack of the Groans, er, Drones, um, I mean Clones.')
Do I think either is going to happen in my lifetime? No.

But if in a couple of years we're all disecting episode 14 of Crusade, I'll happily eat crow.

------------------
-- B. Banzai

Actually,

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>I thought he said, "The cure will turn out not to be quite what they think it is." Which is a small, but real difference. I suspect that the cure will work, but that it will have unexpected side-effects - literally a matter of the cure being worse than the disease. This would all be tied in to Earth's illicit involvement with Shadowtech and Exaclibur's going renegade. So the plague story proper would be over. There would no longer be any threat of everyone on Earth dying, and the quarrantine could be lifted. But there would now be a new problem (or rather, set of problems) for the crew to contend with.)</font></td></tr></table>

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>My first thought when I first heard about Rangers (and it's time frame) was "Woo hoo, now we'll get to find out what happened with the plague and the telepath war!"
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We already know what happened with the plauge - it got cured. You want the details? OK. Personally, I'm not that interested. The plague was never anything more than the "McGuffin" in the Crusade story, the thing - of no intrinsic importance - that the characters think is important and go chasing after. I didn't really care what happened to the secret information in North by Northwest, I cared about what happened to Cary Grant.

And the Telepath War is over when B5: Legend of the Rangers opens, as JMS has mentioned several times. The war is fought in 2264 and '65. Rangers is set later in 2265. The ISN anchor in A Call to Arms mentions a memorial being dedicated for those killed in the "recent telepath crisis, including..." But this doesn't mean that said crisis just took place. The movie is set in early 2267. From that perspective, 2265 is still "recent"

News anchors today still refer to "recent" terrorist incidents like Oklahoma City and the World Trade Center bombing because, for the majority of adults in their audience, who do not measure time in terms of summer vacations, anything less than ten years old can be counted as "recent."

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris Springob:
What is the roundtable? Is the SFC planning its 2002 lineup in November or something?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes.

------------------
Colleen L. Stanford
Gideon's Mine, all Mine
(he just doesn't know it yet, LOL)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Joe D. said:
We already know what happened with the plauge - it got cured. You want the details? OK. Personally, I'm not that interested. The plague was never anything more than the "McGuffin" in the Crusade story, the thing - of no intrinsic importance - that the characters think is important and go chasing after. I didn't really care what happened to the secret information in North by Northwest, I cared about what happened to Cary Grant. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I know all that, Joe. In fact, I said as much in a previous post.

I don't know why you don't want to know the details, though -- that's sort of like saying, "Sure, Sinclair has a hole in his mind, so what?" That was just a plot point to get the story rolling, too. The only reason you cared about Cary Grant was because of the story the McGuffin sent him on, and how that story changed him.

Are you under the mistaken impression that I only care about the details and not the characters? My hope that Rangers covers the Plague and the Telepath War is fueled by the thought that I will again see characters that I care about (and that would be my only chance to see them, because, IMHO, I think that Crusade is not going to return).

Irregardless of what JMS has said about the timeline, it is, after all *his* timeline, and there's no reason he can't tweak it. After all, he has re-thought and tweaked things on the fly before. He's said or planned lots of ideas that he's changed or abandoned, Delenn's sex change for one. Let me remind you of a quote from a different thread:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Joe D. said:
JMS has always said that nothing is "canon" until it appears on the screen. So some of his comments, especially regarding "works-in-progress" have to be read in the context of when they were written, and you have to allow for him changing things if he has a better idea later.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If the Teep War occurs before Rangers, there's no reason that a flashback of some sort can't occur. Babylon 5 (and Crusade, too) went all over the place in terms of timelines and POVs. B5, set in a specific five-year time frame, showed us events a 1,000 years in the past and a million years in the future. Anything is possible.

And if JMS comes to the conclusion that Rangers might be his last kick at the can, why not go all out and include the Teep War and the Plague?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Joe D. said:
News anchors today still refer to "recent" terrorist incidents like Oklahoma City and the World Trade Center bombing because, for the majority of adults in their audience, who do not measure time in terms of summer vacations, anything less than ten years old can be counted as "recent."
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Recent" is a subjective term, and can mean any length of time that suits your arguement.
smile.gif

I have not any news anchor refer to the Oklahoma bombing, the second worst terrorist act in North American history, as "recent."

The only reason "recent" was used in ACTA was so that JMS would NOT be tied down to a precise date for the war. He is 'Mr.Trapdoor,' after all.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but Crusade is a cancelled show and it is extremely rare for a cancelled show to return. ( I didn't say "impossible," I said "rare."
smile.gif
)

Would I like it to return? Yes. Do I hope it returns? Yes. Do I think it's going to return? No. Do I hope I'm wrong? Yes.

------------------
-- B. Banzai

[This message has been edited by spuzzum (edited August 17, 2001).]

And here's the latest from JMS on the topic....

>Your most recent comments quoted on "Cinescape On-Line" have produced the
>latest round of "See, I *told* you 'Crusade' is definitely dead" posts.
>Based on your earlier comments, I didn't read it that way. It just sounds
>to me like you have a plan "B" in mind in case Sci-Fi decides it absolutely
>*isn't* interested in "Crusade" after "Rangers" has been on the air for
>awhile. Otherwise your preference would still be to finish the "Crusade"
>story on a show called "Crusade." Am I wrong?

Sigh...I guess these are people who, on finding one door locked, never think to
go in a window and just leave. You *always* have a plan B. Also a plan C, D
and E.

jms

------------------
-- B. Banzai

Joe--without looking it up, I'm guessing that you're probably right about the exact wording that JMS used, however...

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>....I was actually also thinking that it might turn out to be a case of the cure being worse than the disease. But the story of the terrible side-effects to the cure could still be classified as being part of the "plague story", in contrast to the separate story of Earth's use of Shadow tech. Or, as you suggested, the two might be related. The point is that one can't say conclusively that the "plague story" would be over by the end of Season 2. </font></td></tr></table>

GideonsMine--if the SFC is planning its 2002 lineup in November, how does that square with Bonnie Hammer's statement that they'd "wait to see how the Rangers movie does" before greenlighting a series? Or is this meeting only going to deal with programming in the first half of 2002?

------------------

To Spuzzum: I've never been able to pull up "thestation.com." Exactly what is this site? Thanx in advance for your info.

------------------

I personally think that the Liandra will take the position of the Excalibur. And the Excalibur and it's missions around will only be mentioned in passing.
Like: "The Excalibur is handeling Gamma 7 which means we'll hit Zoockar Prime now, instead."

(raises hands) See, it's as simple as that.

That will probably be the extent of it. Remember Back to the Future 2? They can work around each other.

------------------
something witty and clever.. so laugh dammit!

There is no reason why JMS can't add into the Rangers story abit about the cure or EA black projects, we will have to wait and see what comes of it....

------------------
Emporer Turhan-"How will this end"
Kosh-"In fire"

Latest posts

Members online

Back