• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Technomage Books

I'm almost finished with Summoning Light, & it is *so* good! You'll definitely find out something *very* interesting about the Technomages in this book!

Tammy

------------------

Jomar what about the fate of

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>a certain Centauri liner within sight of the station. </font></td></tr></table>

That is the only part I thought did not mesh with the series.

------------------
Bus
"The pink ones keep ya from screamin'." Grandpa

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hypatia:
Poor Cern! It's like God is testing you or something.
frown.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, judging by the other posts on this thread, at least no one else is being inconvenienced for my sake...

------------------
Marcus, "Well They said I was carrying around a lot of repressed anger.
Lennier, "and?"
Marcus, "I'm not repressed anymore."

Just finished reading Summoning Light *twitch* OMG... what a good book *twitch* so very deeply disturbing *twitch* ... don't want to wait 'til November.... *twitch*....

------------------
"Expect me, when you see me."

Derian,

Tell me about it. *mutters* Maybe we'll get lucky and the book will come out early. *Laughs as she crosses her fingers* That's going to be really cool, though. October I'll be reading The Fiery Cross (the fifth book in the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon...been waiting for this book for three years now *L*) and then November I'll have Invoking Darkness. Now all I have to do is decide what I'm going to do between now and October...hrm...I still have to read The Shadow Within. I need some more B5 books.

------------------
Ivanova is always right. I will listen to Ivanova. I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God. And if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out.

Better

I think they work better as stand alone books.

------------------
Bus
"The pink ones keep ya from screamin'." Grandpa

I have loved the Psi Corp Trilogy and the Legions of Fire Trilogy, I hope this one will be just as good!

------------------
We are the stuff of the Universe, trying to figure itself out.

Hi:

This is my second post on this site, and I'm not entirely sure how all the buttons work. Please be patient with me if I screw this up.

I do want to say how impressed I am with the site and the knowledge so many of you have. I couldn't possibly remember the plots of all those episodes just by mentioning their names! Dialog here also seems very civilized -- food fights notwithstanding.

Anyway,

I just finished reading Summoning Light, and I thought it was a great ride. I also really appreciate the extra pages in these two Jeanne Cavelos books -- so many other paperbacks seem to peter out after about 250 pages, but the Techno-Mage books keep going and going. It leads me to wonder if page counts are something the publishers try to keep down: <UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>Because they think people will lose interest after X number of pages?
<LI>Because more pages = more cost, there's a fixed amount publishers can charge for a certain kind of paperback, and they therefore make less profit per unit sold the more pages there are in a book?
[/list]

The story was great, but it did leave me with some questions that are probably spoilers, and beyond the scope of the triology:

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>It comes out that the Techno-Mages get their technology from the Shadows. What do the Shadows get in return, besides the predisposition for violence that the circuitry gives to the Techno-Mages once it's installed? </font></td></tr></table>

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>Is the fact that the Techno-Mages use Shadow technology among the reasons that the Apocalyspe Box tells Gideon not to trust Galen? </font></td></tr></table>

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>I'd always had the impression from watching B5 that the Shadows had been more or less hibernating for the past 1,000 years. However, if they (or their agents) have been supplying the technology to the Techno-Mages every three years for the past 1,000 years, and Bester as a six-year-old is told to beware of Shadows, they seem to be up and around. Couldn't the Vorlons have stopped them, or their supporters? Why the 1,000 year gap? What have the Shadows been doing for the past 1,000 years?</font></td></tr></table>

Thanks.

------------------
"What's up, Drakh?"

Michael Garibaldi

[This message has been edited by Mondo Londo (edited July 11, 2001).]

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>I think the box tells Gideon not to trust Galen because Galen's lieing to him about his reasons for being there... or, at least, not being totally honest. He was never "kicked out" of the circle. They sent him to observe and see how far along EarthForce was in working with the Shadow tech.

As for the 1000 year gap, and the Vorlons not doing anything. Both of the races, being first ones, are bound by certain "rules of engagement." It was written in the Book of G'Quan that the war occured every 1000 years. I think it's planned that way. -- Done according to a "schedule" of sorts, to help the younger races along.
</font></td></tr></table>

------------------
"Expect me, when you see me."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mondo Londo:

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>Couldn't the Vorlons have stopped them, or their supporters? Why the 1,000 year gap? What have the Shadows been doing for the past 1,000 years?</font></td></tr></table>

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey welcome Mondo Londo glad you found us
smile.gif

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>
ok the Vorlons couldn't stop them because of rules and the Vorlons were not prepared.

1000 year gap is because 1000 years ago is when the last great war was many Shadows and Vorlons lost allot of resource's and presumably lives they also lost many supporters etc

They used the 1000 years to plan build etc for the next great war, thats just how long it took them. </font></td></tr></table>

------------------
Deviot
Lincbot@yahoo.com.au

[This message has been edited by Deviot (edited July 11, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Deviot (edited July 12, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Derian:

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>

It was written in the Book of G'Quan that the war occured every 1000 years. I think it's planned that way. -- Done according to a "schedule" of sorts, to help the younger races along.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OO I never knew that about the every 1000 years thing I just figured it just started when one side decided to start .

------------------
Deviot
Lincbot@yahoo.com.au

Hi:

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> Yes, I remember the Minbari talking about the 1,000 year cycles -- and I think even a 10,000 year cycle -- to these wars. I think this comes from season 2 of B5.

I won't bother wondering about years on which planet, either...
wink.gif

Yet we know the Vorlons have been busy, or at least Kosh has. He's spied on all 333 Techno-Mage convocations; some Vorlon(s) were close enough to Earth to study and pick up Jack the Ripper, add the telepath gene(?) to our DNA pool, etc.

It also seems the Shadows have been busy. They've been supplying the Techno-Mages with their tech, a six-year-old Alfie Bester is told to beware of them some 60-65 years before 2258, etc.

From what I understand, the Vorlons actively fought the Shadows 1,000 years ago. If there is a 1,000 year truce, I wonder what the terms are. Obviously, both have been to Earth, so it's not as if they can assign new planets to their respective spheres of influence, or is it? Can the Shadows and Vorlons interfere with each others' plans? If they can't, how can they both be influencing the humans? And since they can interfere, or at least compete, with each others' plans, what is the limit -- physical violence?

Interesting stuff...
Thanks.

------------------
"What's up, Drakh?"

Michael Garibaldi

[This message has been edited by Mondo Londo (edited July 12, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mondo Londo:
Hi:

Yes, I remember the Minbari talking about the 1,000 year cycles -- and I think even a 10,000 year cycle -- to these wars. I think this comes from season 2 of B5.

I think a fantastic story would be what the Shadows and Vorlons, Techno-Mages, etc. were doing in this 1,000 year gulf. It'd be wild to see what they were doing to lay the plans for the next war... where they traveled and why, what "seeds" they planted, etc.

Thanks.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
"What's up, Drakh?"

Michael Garibaldi

I'm still waiting for the ultimate spoiler thread - where all the discussion, from the very beginning onwards, would take place in spoiler blocks. Now that would be fun!
laugh.gif

Back to topic, sort of... I wasn't originally too interested in the Technomage books but having read all of your insights and spoilers, I am almost considering buying them
laugh.gif

------------------
"It's animal magnetism. What can I say."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kribu:
I'm still waiting for the ultimate spoiler thread - where all the discussion, from the very beginning onwards, would take place in spoiler blocks. Now that would be fun!
laugh.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Talk about "Black Ops!"
wink.gif

------------------
"What's up, Drakh?"

Michael Garibaldi

How can you read the stuff in the spoiler boxes? For some reason, it's not working for me.

Tammy

PS--Love your name, Mondo Londo! I had a good laugh when I first saw it! Mondo Londo...LOL!
smile.gif

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gkarfan:
How can you read the stuff in the spoiler boxes? For some reason, it's not working for me.

Tammy

PS--Love your name, Mondo Londo! I had a good laugh when I first saw it! Mondo Londo...LOL!
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you! I kinda like it myself!
wink.gif

To read the spoiler boxes, Click on the top left of the blackened area and scroll down. The text should appear in white type. Hope this works, and happy reading!

------------------
"What's up, Drakh?"

Michael Garibaldi

About technomages:

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>I doubt if they have any need for being supplied with Shadowtech. I suspect they found or took it (or accepted it in a bargain and gave the Shadows nothing in return).

That would explain why they are so good at hiding - they would have had to hide from the Shadows and gather power to keep themselves safe for a significant time.

They started acting more openly again when they had learned to use, build and modify Shadowtech and considered themselves able to protect themselves and their secrets. When the Shadow war started they knew how vast it might become - and decided to move aside.</font></td></tr></table>

Well, that's my impression anyway. I still haven't read the technomage books.

------------------
Canned flarn is a sacrilege.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lennier:
About technomages:

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>I doubt if they have any need for being supplied with Shadowtech. I suspect they found or took it (or accepted it in a bargain and gave the Shadows nothing in return).

Well, that's my impression anyway. I still haven't read the technomage books.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lennier,

I'm not sure that's right.

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>In the novels, it's made clear that the tech is to be considered something like a sacred mystery. In fact, Techno-Mages who study the tech too much are harshly rebuked by the Circle. </font></td></tr></table>

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>Further, it seems like the #1 Techno-Mage has to meet with a Drakh middle(man?) before every Convocation to supply the Drakh with the DNA samples of those to be new senior apprentices, and the senior apprentices to be intitiated as Techno-Mages. Several weeks later, a Drakh appears with the tailored tech for each new senior apprentice and Techno-Mage. This is one of the Circle's deepest secrets.

------------------
"What's up, Drakh?"

Michael Garibaldi

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back