• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Who'd have died?

Re: Who\'d have died?

/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif That would then be "we kill for the one" eh? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I think if a Rangers series had been, JMS would have picked up on a lot of the criticism and would have toned that WAY down.

I think the weapons system might have been the first "character" to "die". /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Maybe he'd have kept it but toned it way down. Or, like the bellboy uniforms in Crusade, some "accident" would have befallen their weapons system and a newer, better one would be installed in its place.

It seems likely that they would have taken part of the first season set budget and built the weapon system originally called for in the pilot script.

Regards,

Joe

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
What was called for in the pilot script?

[/quote]

Sarah's chair would have dropped down from the bridge into the center of a spherical display. She would have controlled the weapons from a seated position, with the display rotating around her to afford a view in all directions. (Or the seat spinning around. From the viewer's perspective there would have been virtually no difference.) When they got to soundstage they realized that they had underestimated the costs of constructing this, as well as of some of the associated blue-screen FX work. Neither Sci-Fi nor Warner Bros. was willing to come up with the cash. Having Sarah floating in the middle of the sphere (shot by suspending her on wires) and firing the weapons as she did was a last minute, on-set improvisation, created under pressure to find some solution that wouldn't hold up production, which would also cost money. I think they took a brave chance, making of a virtue of necessity and coming up with a truly original way of firing weapons on a high-tech warship, even if it really didn't work on film. That's why I'm sure if the series had been a go they would have come up with the extra money to build the "ball turret gunner" version of the weapons system - and passed it off as an upgrade during Liandra's repairs.

Regards,

Joe

Thanks, Joe. Now that you run it by me again, I recognize it. You posted it a long time ago, but I just couldn't remember.

From a physics point of view, it would have been much better. But yea, I can see how the cost would have been pretty high. Sounds like JMS and crew did what they could in a very limited situation.

One big fat Drazi sitting in the middle of the ship, looking well fed, saying "nope, have no idea where they all went". /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Gaaaaaaaaah. That would have been a surprise ending, that's for sure, eh? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif IF you think about it, a Hannibal-type would love being in a spaceship. Very confined environment. Easy to trap the targets. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Well, whoever's left can't kill Sarah. She serves to live, and lives to serve.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

But she would also live for the One and die for the One. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Actually, I think it would suck to have Sarah killed. I think she was pretty cool. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Plus, I like Myriam. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Get it? Get my terribly bad pun? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Yeah, seriously - she wouldn't be my first choice to be eliminated from the mix right off the bat. But, as it is with everything, it depends on what the plot says, and you serve the story first... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
and you serve the story first... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/quote]

And dessert last...

Regards,

Joe

Are you having a bad "Hair" day? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

No, just a bad joke day. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hey, I could have said "To Wine and Dine in Starlight"... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Or maybe:
"Babylon 5: Cooking on the Range-rs"
"Tirk... eat... Drazi"
"We live for the One, we dine on the One"

OK, OK, put the knife down. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

No, seriously.

*runs*

**Throwns rotten salad bar leftovers at Hair.**

Booooo!!!! Those were bad!!! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Latest posts

Members online