• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The Babylon 5 Preservation Project

Involved? Not in the least. I stated what I wanted to state - sort of the purpose of forms, as I recall. But you called it "feedback", a term that usually would include it being directed at somebody who might respond to your concerns.

I didn't say a word about what the book is like or what's in it - that's not my place. I simply responded to what you said.
Fair enough, I should have used a different word to feedback as I wasn't literally expecting Jason Davis to read this message board, nor is it really my place to give him feedback on a project I've not seen yet, plus I doubt he'd want some random person on the Internet telling him what to write. However, my concerns based on what little information I have still stand and I'm allowed to espouse them in a conversation on a message board. Four books is a lot of money, especially with shipping to the UK costing almost as much as the book itself, so yes I'm going to hold this project to a high standard. If I think the final product is good then I will get all four books if finances allow.

But I would also say to him to write the book he wants to write, regardless, and I and other readers will either like it or not and buy the other 3 books or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jan
Fair enough, I should have used a different word to feedback as I wasn't literally expecting Jason Davis to read this message board, nor is it really my place to give him feedback on a project I've not seen yet, plus I doubt he'd want some random person on the Internet telling him what to write. However, my concerns based on what little information I have still stand and I'm allowed to espouse them in a conversation on a message board. Four books is a lot of money, especially with shipping to the UK costing almost as much as the book itself, so yes I'm going to hold this project to a high standard. If I think the final product is good then I will get all four books if finances allow.

But I would also say to him to write the book he wants to write, regardless, and I and other readers will either like it or not and buy the other 3 books or not.
Ouch - yeah, my sympathies on the shipping costs to the UK. It's gotten really bad! Voicing concerns is valid, too. I'm afraid I took your "...cramming the book..." to be a way of saying you thought he might be padding things; and while I expect far more detail than anybody ever expected, I can guarantee that this is going to be THE best researched document about the show that could be imagined. Will all of it be of interest to you? I'm sure it won't be. Nor to me. But I truly feel that the show deserves this level of documentation.

Anyway, it let me play with my script collection again! :D

Ouch - yeah, my sympathies on the shipping costs to the UK. It's gotten really bad! Voicing concerns is valid, too. I'm afraid I took your "...cramming the book..." to be a way of saying you thought he might be padding things; and while I expect far more detail than anybody ever expected, I can guarantee that this is going to be THE best researched document about the show that could be imagined. Will all of it be of interest to you? I'm sure it won't be. Nor to me. But I truly feel that the show deserves this level of documentation.

Anyway, it let me play with my script collection again! :D
Ah, by cramming I actually meant the opposite – cramming it so full of detail it potentially becomes impenetrable. I was probably a bit harsh in my statements. I appreciate it's difficult to get the balance right between brevity and detail. I can tell from the updates it's going to be the best researched book of probably any TV show.

I'm just going to shut up now, I do wish Jason luck in writing the book and we'll wait and see what it's like when the first one is published.

Poked my👃nose around past messages and found The One where he discusses the number of book/s and reasoning behind it. For reference it is " Briefing #237 — 26 August 2024 ".

He mentions not realizing how MUCH information he would accumulate during the course of his research, and one (possibly two) books has thus grown to four. Turns out second book doesn't end at Season 5. Tentatively it is:

Book 1: Through the end of Season One
Book 2: Through the end of Season Three
Book 3: Through the end of Season Five + first two films
Book 4: Last two films + Crusade, LOTR, TLT

For those who are following along and did NOT get in during the kickstarter/briefings (I made it by something like two days), some information is on the original kickstarter site.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1387618382/the-babylon-5-preservation-project - goals, etc.

Went with the Two Book level as was :D hoping :D for multiple books and with days remaining everything above that level had already been snapped up :cry:.

" Finally, there's a chance that the information gathered during this project will yield more than one book of 400 to 500 pages. I don't think this is a likely scenario, because I'd rather have a single book from which great content was cut than two volumes that could be accused of being padded to reach their page counts. But if two solid volumes are required to tell the story, all the one-book levels will get the first book with the option of purchasing the second at a discount. Folks at the $90 and $150 levels would either get two copies of the first book or one of each volume. At the end of the day, two new books on B5 is a great problem to have. "

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1387618382/the-babylon-5-preservation-project/comments - questions from backers.

One of Jason's replies (1 year ago) is:

" 2) There won't be a further Kickstarter for the second volume. As noted in the original Kickstarter pitch, I knew there was a good chance that I'd have sufficient material for two solid books. A number of backers pledged at a level that would grant them either two copies of a single-volume release or a copy each of Volumes 1 and 2, so there's a precedent to draw upon. I'll be working on these logistics once Volume 2 catches up to Volume 1 and I can work with concrete weights and production/mailing statistics. "

" Thank you for your support. If I only manage to convey A QUARTER of the material I've gathered in these almost-200 interviews, I think you will be pleased with the result. "

Last edited:
Ah, by cramming I actually meant the opposite – cramming it so full of detail it potentially becomes impenetrable. I was probably a bit harsh in my statements. I appreciate it's difficult to get the balance right between brevity and detail. I can tell from the updates it's going to be the best researched book of probably any TV show.

I'm just going to shut up now, I do wish Jason luck in writing the book and we'll wait and see what it's like when the first one is published.
Nah, I think it's a fair concern. I'd prefer a well edited, well paced, single book over 4 books that could potentially suffer from cramming in every minutiae. See no issues with discussing this. A Kickstarter should also deliver what you signed up for in a timely fashion.

Maybe repost your original post / comments here to the Kickstarter comments section if that's possible.

Last edited:
While I'd appreciate any well written B5 Book, four is better than one, rather than having information about the story of B5 being lost and forgotten. If The Virus and Writer's Strike hadn't taken place things would be further along, but the longer period has allowed him time to track down additional people for interviews so Good Things Come To Those Who Wait. Plus we've had 250-ish update emails to read while waiting.

A good example of Leave-It-In-Or-Take-It-Out is the Special Edtion LoTR films as have always thought the longer versions were far superior, although have heard differing opinions on the decision to not include The Scouring of the Shire and instead go with the umpteen happy endings. Then again, my favorite B5 script book is 2.5, which is 90% dedicated to Points of Departure using multiple script versions. Of course, the first episode I ever watched was PoD, so am a bit biased 😃. ...and I think there was a "negative review" of the B5 Encyclopedia on Amazon which apparently complained it wasn't easy to read since it was just a bunch of definitions and stuff (similar to what one might find in an Encyclopedia).

While I'd appreciate any well written B5 Book, four is better than one, rather than having information about the story of B5 being lost and forgotten. If The Virus and Writer's Strike hadn't taken place things would be further along, but the longer period has allowed him time to track down additional people for interviews so Good Things Come To Those Who Wait. Plus we've had 250-ish update emails to read while waiting.

A good example of Leave-It-In-Or-Take-It-Out is the Special Edtion LoTR films as have always thought the longer versions were far superior, although have heard differing opinions on the decision to not include The Scouring of the Shire and instead go with the umpteen happy endings. Then again, my favorite B5 script book is 2.5, which is 90% dedicated to Points of Departure using multiple script versions. Of course, the first episode I ever watched was PoD, so am a bit biased 😃. ...and I think there was a "negative review" of the B5 Encyclopedia on Amazon which apparently complained it wasn't easy to read since it was just a bunch of definitions and stuff (similar to what one might find in an Encyclopedia).
All valid. We are definitely at the opposite ends of the spectrum. I requested a refund on Vol. 2.5 as I was pretty unimpressed with how flimsy a concept it was for a book. The Encyclopaedia also seemed like a bit of a futile effort to me. I can just watch the show. But, I realise there is an audience for this stuff. Each to their own.

Back