• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Rangers Series?!?!

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by channe:
<font color=yellow>We're talking about sci-fi fans, here. If episodes were in production, somebody would find out... </font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

Likely we would. Notice I said "could possibly be," not "were."<LOL>

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by PsionTen:
<font color=yellow>Hell if I know. I waited around for months to hear whether or not I got this particular job at a huge firm near Palm Beach. After a few months of silence, I pretty much got the picture. </font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>There are employers like that, yes, but they don't tend to be the kind who spontaneously send their employees baskets of goodies as thanks for going that extra effort.

<font color=yellow>I'm not even sure what you mean when you say that SFC "decided not to do more" with Crusade. I wasn't aware that they had done anything regarding Crusade other than to air it every so often like they do with "Now and Again" and a dozen other shows.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>When TNT had the production of Crusade stopped, SciFi tried to pick up the show. After a few weeks of negotiations, jms announced that it didn't work out in .<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr><font color=yellow>As far as JMS's silence goes, I thought he made himself pretty clear when he told us what SFC's expectations for B5LR were. The "pilot" wasn't anywhere near that range ... what else needs to be said.<hr></blockquote></font color=yellow>As a stand alone TV movie, it flopped, and probably lost SciFi a good chunck of money. But the over all rating is far from the only thing they'd be looking at when determining it's potential as a series, and according to <a target="_blank" href=http://lists.cs.columbia.edu/pipermail/b5jms/2002-January/004676.html>said post by jms, the details were a lot less conclusive. Meaning that it'd probably take time to hammer out a deal...<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr><font color=yellow>It's sad that we didn't get a more compelling movie than what we did. If Rangers had been something on par with Jeremiah, then I might have mailed off a letter to sci-fi like everyone else. But I don't send off letters to networks asking them to save shows that I really didn't feel were all that good in the first place.<hr></blockquote></font color=yellow>I doubt there is much letters can do now anyway. Only time will tell.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by drakh:
<font color=yellow> There are employers like that, yes, but they don't tend to be the kind who spontaneously send their employees baskets of goodies as thanks for going that extra effort. </font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

ROFLMAO! /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif There are such places, ...today???

All I ever got as "thanks" for the going the extra mile/putting in the extra effort was grief and more work piled on me, while other people coasted and got very little work/easy work piled on them (because they weren't as capable, and so less was expected of them). ARGH! /ubbthreads/images/icons/mad.gif

In 20 years the only thing I ever got that was slightly more than an absolutely worthless trinket was a Timex IndiGlo Travel Alarm, and that was a prize for an idea I submitted when participating in one of the company's mandatory safety programs.

<font color=yellow> When TNT had the production of Crusade stopped, SciFi tried to pick up the show. After a few weeks of negotiations, jms announced that it didn't work out in <a target="_blank" href=http://lists.cs.columbia.edu/pipermail/b5jms/1999-February/003891.html>this message</a>. </font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

However, after Sci-Fi got the rights to re-run the existing Crusade episodes, we haven't heard of any decisions that Sci-Fi has made in regard to making future Crusade episodes.

"other projects means comics for marvel."

Not to sound dumb, but I have yet to hear that news. What titles is he doing, and where did you hear about them?

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Dekion:
<font color=yellow>What titles is he doing,</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>Don't think any have been announced yet.<font color=yellow><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>and where did you hear about them?</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>Newsarama ran a <a target="_blank" href=http://www.comicon.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=13&t=000878>story</a> on it.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by KoshN:
<font color=yellow>However, after Sci-Fi got the rights to re-run the existing Crusade episodes, we haven't heard of any decisions that Sci-Fi has made in regard to making future Crusade episodes.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

A decision is something you make when someone proposes something to you and you have to decide.

SciFi has no decision to make on Crusade. No one with any rights to Crusade (aka WB) is proposing anything to them to make a decision on.

The only result of SciFi's renewed interest in doing "something B5-oriented" was the Rangers movie/pilot.

People should stop waiting for a Crusade decision unless they have solid proof that a proposal to do a Crusade revival is on Tom Vitale's desk. (Tom Vitale still does work at SciFi. He made an appearance at the Farscape convention alongside David Kemper, FS's showrunner last September)

Just because a network picks up re-runs of a series doesn't mean a series revival proposal comes along with it. I'm not waiting for a "Now and Again" decision.

The only decision Sci-Fi has to make on Crusade is when to have a Crusade day-long marathon. And they don't even have to make *that*. They could just let the series mold, if they wanted to.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr> But the over all rating is far from the only thing they'd be looking at when determining it's potential as a series... <hr></blockquote>

Maybe I read wrong, but I was pretty sure that back in December and early Jan., virtually everybody said that ratings were the ONLY thing that mattered. Since the movie aired and the ratings came out, there's something of a revisionist history going on. Something similar went on after the first reviews came out. People claimed that reviewers either had some ax to grind against JMS or didn't know enough about B5 to be trusted. Even when AICN had the one positive review of B5LR (excluding AnthonyF's), some people were upset because it wasn't positive enough. No doubt some of you probably think I'm being negative now ... I'm just satisified with what I already have.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>I doubt there is much letters can do now anyway. Only time will tell.
<hr></blockquote>

Why would letters be any more or less effective than they were a month ago? If, as you say, negotiations are still going on, then wouldn't this be the perfect time to send letters?

<font color=yellow>

Why would letters be any more or less effective than they were a month ago? If, as you say, negotiations are still going on, then wouldn't this be the perfect time to send letters?</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

Excellent point. Letters to sponsors help, never hurt.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SavantB5:
<font color=yellow>A decision is something you make when someone proposes something to you and you have to decide.

SciFi has no decision to make on Crusade. No one with any rights to Crusade (aka WB) is proposing anything to them to make a decision on.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

First, how do you know that "No one with any rights to Crusade (aka WB) is proposing anything to them to make a decision on."

Fans have written to Sci-Fi to ask them to resurrect Crusade. Fans are the consumer. If fans don't watch your channel, guess what happens? By not responding in some way, giving some answer, Sci-Fi is blowing us off.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SavantB5:
<font color=yellow>The only result of SciFi's renewed interest in doing "something B5-oriented" was the Rangers movie/pilot.

People should stop waiting for a Crusade decision unless they have solid proof that a proposal to do a Crusade revival is on Tom Vitale's desk.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

So, Warner Brothers presenting Tom with a proposal is the only way to get the Crusade ball rolling? In other words, it's not possible for fan interest to get Sci-Fi to instigate matters?

Then, maybe we should be writing to Warner Brothers to get them to present Sci-Fi with a proposal to resurrect Crusade, or writing to both sides and ask them to get the hell together. What's it going to take, an Act of God for something good to happen? /ubbthreads/images/icons/rolleyes.gif

<font color=yellow>Why would letters be any more or less effective than they were a month ago?</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

Letters now would indicate that there is continued interest, that we haven't forgotten or given up.

B5/Crusade/B5:LotR letters in each and every issue of "Science Fiction Weekly -- Letters to the Editor," may make somebody at Sci-Fi realize that there is continued interest.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>By not responding in some way, giving some answer, Sci-Fi is blowing us off.
<hr></blockquote>

I'm, perhaps, the last person to defend the sc-fi channel, but I will here: The sci-fi channel doesn't owe "us" a thing. Yes, the Crusade fans wrote letters ... so did the Battlestar Gallactica fans, the Now and Again fans, the G v E fans, the Sliders fans, the Strangworld fans, the Jules Vern fans, the American Gothic fans ... just because the sci-fi channel airs a canceled/defunct/older show doesn't mean that they are obligated to bring it back. In any case, however, I think the sci-fi channel did respond to you -- it did nothing.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>it's not possible for fan interest to get Sci-Fi to instigate matters? <hr></blockquote>

Unfortunately, It didn't work for My-So-Called-Life, Felicity, Futurama, The Tick, Adventures of Brisco County, American Gothic, Now and Again, Space: Above and Beyond, Strange Luck, Freaks and Geeks ....etc. But there are some rare instances in which it works.

<font color=yellow>In any case, however, I think the sci-fi channel did respond to you -- it did nothing.
</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

That's OK. I responded to them as well. I dropped 'em.

<font color=yellow>Maybe I read wrong, but I was pretty sure that back in December and early Jan., virtually everybody said that ratings were the ONLY thing that mattered. Since the movie aired and the ratings came out, there's something of a revisionist history going on.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>I've been trying to explain to you that there are a lot more to ratings than just the national average. Jms pointed out several. That's why I provided a direct link to his message.<font color=yellow><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Something similar went on after the first reviews came out. People claimed that reviewers either had some ax to grind against JMS or didn't know enough about B5 to be trusted. Even when AICN had the one positive review of B5LR (excluding AnthonyF's), some people were upset because it wasn't positive enough.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>Lots of people get upset about lot of things. Not really my problem. I will say this though - I found Rangers a slightly entertaining, but very shallow and forgettable movie with a fair bit of rough spots. However, I do not think it deserved anywhere near the level of criticism many of those reviewers threw at it, and I certainly wouldn't look to them for advice on what to view in the future.<font color=yellow><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Why would letters be any more or less effective than they were a month ago? If, as you say, negotiations are still going on, then wouldn't this be the perfect time to send letters?</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>It's been a while since I believed letters did any more than show that there's a tiny, extremely active part of fandom that extremely active.

However, this far into the aftermath, WB. and SciFi are either well on their way to making a deal or have given it up, which means that it's long since past the point where they decided on whether or not there's enough interest in the show.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by KoshN:
<font color=yellow>First, how do you know that "No one with any rights to Crusade (aka WB) is proposing anything to them to make a decision on."</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>Because none have been announced.<font color=yellow><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Fans have written to Sci-Fi to ask them to resurrect Crusade. Fans are the consumer. If fans don't watch your channel, guess what happens? By not responding in some way, giving some answer, Sci-Fi is blowing us off.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>Do you really think there are enough SciFi Channel watchers out there willing to suddenly drop the channel on the faint hope that they'll do something with Crusade that it will make even the slightest dent in the ratings? I suppose it's possible in theory, but I don't really see it happening in the real world.<font color=yellow><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>What's it going to take, an Act of God for something good to happen? /ubbthreads/images/icons/rolleyes.gif</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>It certainly would help, though with jms recent track record on Jeremiah, I wouldn't count on it.

The only possibility I see for Crusade is if B5 properties become extraordinarily valuable for some reason. And the only way I can see that happening currently, is if Rangers becomes a hugely successful series on SciFi. I can't say I like those odds, but they're the only ones I have, so I simply have to accept them.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>I've been trying to explain to you that there are a lot more to ratings than just the national average. Jms pointed out several. That's why I provided a direct link to his message. <hr></blockquote>

And I've been trying to explain to you that before Jan. 19th, the only thing that seemed to matter were the ratings. After Jan. 19th, suddenly these "other factors" came into play. I'm not going to argue the point anymore, because obviously we're both set in our ways.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>I do not think it deserved anywhere near the level of criticism many of those reviewers threw at it, and I certainly wouldn't look to them for advice on what to view in the future. <hr></blockquote>

Cool with me.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr> However, this far into the aftermath, WB. and SciFi are either well on their way to making a deal or have given it up, which means that it's long since past the point where they decided on whether or not there's enough interest in the show. <hr></blockquote>

You're making an awful lot of assumptions, especially given the fact that you have nothing to base it on but silence. Personally, I could care less about Rangers, but if you want to see it as a series, then I would suggest that you continue your letter writing campaigns. There's nothing whatsoever to suggest that they would be less effective now than they were just a few weeks ago.

<font color=yellow>Because none have been announced.

You may suspect, but you don't KNOW. When would anybody, announce anything? After a deal had been signed? We don't know that Warner Brothers isn't presenting proposals to Sc-Fi, however, given the ratings the movie got, and the dead silence afterward, you're probably right.

<font color=yellow>Do you really think there are enough SciFi Channel watchers out there willing to suddenly drop the channel on the faint hope that they'll do something with Crusade that it will make even the slightest dent in the ratings? I suppose it's possible in theory, but I don't really see it happening in the real world.

Since, like for myself, it entailed dropping 41 other channels, probably not, but it was something I could do. Reason: there's nothing on the Sci-Fi Channel that I want to watch anymore. There's nothing but repeats, and second rate (and with some, that's being charitable) shows. I was over at my cousin's house yesterday or the day before, and checked the Sci-Fi Channel to see what I was missing. It was Bride of Chucky. How many dozen times has that been on? /ubbthreads/images/icons/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/rolleyes.gif

<font color=yellow>It certainly would help, though with jms recent track record on Jeremiah, I wouldn't count on it.

I'm a bit uncertain how to take this.

1. JMS recent track record on Jeremiah is good, and so everybody will just forget about new B5 stuff, and just concentrate on Jeremiah?

2. JMS recent track record on Jeremiah is bad, so JMS reputation is taking a hit, and so everybody will just see Crusade as strike one, TLaDiS as strike two, and Jeremiah as strike three?

I'm guessing you meant #1. /ubbthreads/images/icons/confused.gif

<font color=yellow>The only possibility I see for Crusade is if B5 properties become extraordinarily valuable for some reason. And the only way I can see that happening currently, is if Rangers becomes a hugely successful series on SciFi. I can't say I like those odds, but they're the only ones I have, so I simply have to accept them. </font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

Given the numbers that TLaDiS got, and the fact that Warner Brothers lost all the CGI, I probably have better odds at winning the lottery jackpot, than Rangers has of making it to a series. It's a terrible shame that Crusade's resurrection was dependent upon the success of TLaDiS. I wish Crusade could be considered separately, but since it's CGI files are probably lost as well, it's unlikely. Right now, who knows what's going through the minds of the idea people and decision makers at Sci-Fi, but my guess would be that none of it involves Crusade or Rangers.

This just sucks. /ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back